World Aids Day: Searching for a Cure

Gregory Kurtzman
Staff Writer

For many of us at Harriton and in the Lower Merion Community December 1st passed just like any other day.  While that date might not bear any particular significance for most of us, especially in the midst of all of the other activities that characterize our overcommitted, fast-paced lives, around the world there was a cry that underscored a pivotal issue that has viciously and abruptly permeated our society.  Originally idea of two World Health Organization officers in Geneva, Switzerland, World Aids Day has become a global day of awareness, fundraising, education, and recognition for all those who are fighting the disease.
Spearheaded by the World Aids Campaign, a coalition based in Cape Town dedicated to preventing the spread of the illness, the first World Aids Day was held in 1988 under the theme of “Communication.”  Each year since, a different aspect of the fight against HIV/AIDS has been highlighted during the day of commemoration, ranging from “Women and AIDS” and “Stigma and Discrimination” to “AIDS and the Family” and “Children Living in a World with AIDS.”  In 2009, the World Aids Campaign chose to focus on the themes of “Universal Access and Human Rights” and understanding “Why I AM?”, with key slogans such as “I am safe.”, “I am getting treatment.”, and “I am accepted.”  The intent of last year’s theme was twofold.  Firstly, it sought to emphasize the necessity of universal access to HIV/AIDS treatment, especially within low and middle-income nations.  Additionally, blatant disregard for basic human rights and discrimination have led to the marginalization of groups most at risk for the disease, including intravenous drug users, putting them at a greater risk of contracting the illness.
This all lends itself to a very obvious question: What does one actually do on World Aids Day?  The answer: various organizations dedicated to the fight against HIV/AIDS sponsor events around the world that focus on educating people about the disease, raising money for treatment/research, increasing awareness, and eliminating discrimination.  In Azerbaijan, HIV/AIDS activists organized a televised candlelight campaign, attended by celebrities, political leaders, and the youth of the nation.  In Vancouver, Canada, a benefit concert was organized to use music as a way of spreading awareness, with the intent of “Jamin’ Local and Impacting Global.”  In Laimos, Greece, citizens organized an event that included an exhibition about AIDS, a short film screening, and a live concert from a classical music conservatory.  Closer to home in Washington, D.C., Georgetown Hospital organized a fundraiser entitled “Cupcakes for Kids” in which decorated cupcakes were sold to raise money for pediatric HIV/AIDS care.
In order to find out just how knowledgeable Harriton students are about World Aids Day, I decided to conduct an unofficial survey of the Harriton community.  I resolved for one day to ask my teachers and fellow classmates what they knew about World Aids Day.  Out of the 87 people that I asked, only 15 said they had even heard of the event.  Out of those 15, only 10 were able to describe its purpose/intention.  While I cannot say that this is a scientific study, this brief poll shows that people around us are unaware of the efforts to bring awareness to a disease that has killed over 25 million people around the world since 1981.