There’s No Business like SHOWBUSINESS

With 2010 off to a roaring start we’ve all seen some of the great new movies that have hit the big screen like Avatar or Sherlock Holmes. Although people can pile into a theatre on the weekends, there are other amazing options. If you know me at all, of course, I’m talking about nothing else but Broadway! Although getting there is a bit more of a trek than the local movie theater, Broadway hails millions of theatergoers every week to see over 33 musicals and 26 plays in production right now. You must be asking, “Why Broadway”?
I may be a bit biased but live theatre creates an element of great uncertainty that movies cannot even come close to. In film production, if an actor makes a mistake or forgets a line the director says cut and they do it over a million times until that scene is perfect. As a stage actress myself, you realize that on stage, you have one shot, and it has to be perfect. You have one chance to get that song or dance or scene just right and after that it’s over. This brings a sort of rawness and individuality to every show, even if the performers have been in it for years and years.

Shows:
First decide what kind of “theatre person” you are. Would you rather see a play or a musical? Comedy or drama? Do you want to see a big flashy popular musical, or a more off-the-beaten-path, hidden treasure? The best musicals are not always the ones everyone knows about. If you are going with family, make sure to find out about content, you may not want to see some shows with your parents (yikes!).

Some of my personal favorites are Next To Normal, a psychological rock show about a family dealing with bipolar disorder; In The Heights, a Latino flavored show about a community at the top of Manhattan, Chicago, a popular show about greed, passion and vengeance in the 1920’s and of course Hair: The American Tribal Love-Rock Musical which the Harriton Theatre Company will be performing this March.

In terms of plays, God of Carnage and The 39 Steps are extremely popular.  Of course there are the ever favorite shows based on popular movies, books or musicians works such as The Lion King, Mary Poppins, Mamma Mia, Wicked and West Side Story.
In the interest of the economy, Broadway has continued the trend of turning well-known stories, music and characters into musicals.  In February Spiderman, Turn off the Dark will open, directed by Julie Taymor (Across The Universe anyone?) and featuring music by Bono.  And in April The Addams Family Musical will be opening featuring a cast of all-star Broadway performers. Also in production is American Idiot, a musical featuring the music of Green Day and Million Dollar Quartet and a show about four of America’s greatest musicians: Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins. No matter what you prefer, Broadway definitely has something for every theatergoer and all of those who don’t think they like “musicals.”

Tickets:
Ticket prices often vary due to popularity of a show, how long it has been open, time of year or even day of the week. For lowest pre-sale prices go to broadwaybox.com to find deals as low as $40 per ticket for some of the most popular shows.  Or if you do not mind getting up early, get to the theatre 3 or 4 hours before show time. Many shows have student discount lotteries that you can participate in. The theatre will call you shortly to notify you if you have won discount tickets (mostly $25). In the middle of Times Square there is also a TKTS enormous booth, where you can stand in line and pray you’ll get half price tickets for the show you want to see. If you are going to go with that option, make sure to get there very very early! Just remember that waiting doesnt always guarantee a ticket.

I always happen to come across people who say they “don’t like musicals.” First of all I don’t really get it; how could anyone not enjoy a story told through song and dance? Regardless, Broadway does try to acquire to all tastes. Whether you are in science Olympiad, captain of the XC team or even a member of HTC, expose yourself to the world of Broadway!