Speech and Debate Earn Another Victory Before States

Thursday February 18, 2010 and Saturday February 20, 2010, Harriton High School hosted the annual District Debate and Speech tournaments. Events ranged from Public Forum Debate to Humorous interpretation.   Throughout the debate and speech season there have been many successes: debaters and speech participants have participated in four University tournaments at Yale, Princeton, University of Pennsylvania and LaSalle and five league tournaments. Districts were the reuslt of hard work and dedication. They were the end of a long journey for some and for others the last tournament before states at Susquehanna University March 12 and 13. According to Debate Co-Captain Ben Vander, “This season of debate has been pretty successful. [He is] really happy with how our team as a whole has progressed.”
Debate Coach Dr. Perry was very happy with the results, “Harriton qualified numerous students for the State Championship tournament.”  Those qualifying included Matt Brotman, Alex Flake, Jordin Metz, Jessie Vander, Jackie Milestone, and Victoria Sun in Parliamentary Debate; Brian Kluger in Humorous Interpretation; and alternates Ben Vander and Alex Subhiyah and this writer and Shilpa Soundararajan in Public Forum Debate, Victoria Cano in Dramatic Interpretation, Peter Marshall in Humorous Interpretation, and Chelsea Katz and Michael Witkes in Duo Interpretation.
The Banner wishes the debate and speech teams much luck at the upcoming States Tournament and congratulates them on all of their successes!