Harriton Hockey Gears Up For 2009

Brian Kluger
Staff Writer

The rivalry between Harriton and Lower Merion has gone on forever.  This year, it seems to have picked up to a level of intensity that is at it’s highest in recent memory.  While the rivalry is great for unity within the schools, it leads to a rather interesting situation for their boy’s hockey team.  In order to take the ice, Harriton’s players line up side by side- not against- their foes from Lower Merion.
The hockey team, known as the Lower Merion Ice Hockey Club (LMIHC), has not suffered due to the intense rivalry between Lower Merion and Harriton.  According to Harriton senior defensemen Dan Bragilevsky, there is no friction between the Harriton and LM players.  “I really like the integration [of the schools] because I’ve met people from Lower Merion who I wouldn’t have met otherwise, and it’s just a fun time,” said Bragilevsky, “The team is great…we have such character and every day on the bus is a new experience.”  With about fourteen people making up the varsity squad, the team is diverse and the players all get along.
LMIHC has struggled in recent years, and although they are still looking for its first victory of the season, they are improving quickly.  “This year we got a new coach, Paul Caron, and he is really taking the team in a new direction–one which I really like.” Said Bragilevsky  “This year we are having more structure and responsibility on the team, and our coach is trying to make us better people as well as better hockey players.”  Undoubtedly, with a new coach comes a new coaching style, which requires an adjustment period for LMIHC players.  To get used to a completely new offensive and defensive and strategy is no easy task, and it will be a learning experience throughout this season as the team starts to gel under its new management.
The young 2009 campaign has been a bit of a disappointment for LMIHC, who have started the season off 0-6.   However, that record is deceiving, and the team shows signs of improvement.  Following a rather embarrassing 10-0 loss to undefeated Penncrest, they fought tough and suffered tough 3-0 loss to Central League leading Springfield and fell short against Ridley 4-1.  Despite the results, the team seems to be improving, and with the guidance of head coach Paul Caron, and the young talent on the ice, Lower Merion could soon become a force in the tough central league.
In the end, the most valuable purpose this team serves is as a mechanism for Lower Merion and Harriton hockey players to bond and play as one.  These players come together from two high schools and throw all rivalry aside.  They are able to work hard with one another, wear the same jersey, and most importantly, enjoy themselves in the process.