Rams Basketball Preps For Success in ‘09

Ryan Smith
Staff Writer

A Cinderella story is surely one of the most overused terms when it comes to sports, basketball especially. The phrase has been used so much that its begun to lose its power when a team is labeled as one— it’s trite, and there isn’t anyone from the most avid sports fan to a casual follower who hasn’t heard it used before. Still, there are a select few instances where the slipper actually does fit, and the Harriton boys’ basketball team provided one last year.
The change that can occur over the course of a month is incredible. The Rams had just snuck into the District playoffs as a twelfth seed, and even the most optimistic of fans could not foresee the team grabbing one of the top three spots at Districts, earning them a right to compete in the State tournament. There was decent support from the student body, yes, but it couldn’t have been labeled anywhere near spectacular entering the playoffs. However, once the Rams pulled of the opening round upset of fifth-seeded Upper Perkiomen, the magic began. The next game against Marple Newton was flooded with Rams supporters who did their fair share as the team pulled off another remarkable victory. The hype around the school surrounding the basketball team was more excited and furious than it had been in years. Despite finishing the season just one win away from securing a spot in the state tournament, the Rams had done more than just pull a few upsets. They had united the school behind a winning team, given them something to cheer for, and brought basketball back to Harriton in full force.
Now, over nine months later, Coach Jesse Rappaport returns to lead the Rams once again in 2009. Despite making such a splash in the final games of the previous year, Rappaport has been adamant in the fact that last year’s success doesn’t necessarily carry over, stating “You don’t start where you left off. Everyone thinks it’ll be easy now, but every game in the Central League is a monumental struggle.” While the pieces seem to be in place to build on last year’s performance and make States, the team has taken a steady, one-game-at-a-time approach to the new season. The Rams must first brave their league schedule, a grueling slate pitting them against some of the top teams in the state, before they even have a shot at replicating the success of 2008. A self-stated goal for the team is to improve on last year’s conference record, but winning the league’s lower division is well within their grasp.
Even with the warnings against becoming overconfident, it’s difficult not to feel good about the Rams’ chances this year. In its second year in the Central League, the team will have already been exposed to a year of fierce competition and be ready to play from day one. Assisting with this are the brand new facilities, with the additional gyms being a standout. “There will be no sitting around,” says Rappaport of having an open gym throughout the season. “ We can use all that we have here all year.” He still insists preparation will be the same, even if the Rams will catch the eye of perhaps a few more opponents than they did in previous years.
The largest advantage this year’s team has in comparison to their predecessors is the newfound school spirit. Sparked by last year’s magical playoff run, the student body has united itself behind the team, providing a home-court edge the Rams haven’t had in years. The preseason hype has been endless, starting with the emergence of the fan group The Herd, who will don matching shirts and attend each Harriton game, and culminating in Midnight Madness, in which students and fans took a Thursday night bus to watch the Rams from 11:00 at night to 1:00 in the morning. Expectations are higher than ever in 2009, and it’s tough to argue against them.
As the team will continually state, the year will not be without its challenges. Even without the difficult Central League slate, the Rams still have to replace three seniors from last year’s team, and are counting on former JV players and even freshmen to step up and fill their shoes. Seniors Matt Fusaro and Sal D’Angelo return from clutch performances in the District tournament and look to lead the team this year, while freshman Matt Sherman has impressed by earning a spot on varsity his first year. Even with the mild inexperience and the need to adapt to a new level of competition for many athletes, the Rams remain optimistic, with Rappaport adding that “in some ways, we’re further along than other years.”
When asked about the overwhelming level of student involvement this year, Rappaport replied, “I don’t even know where it all comes from, but it’s all welcome. Last year was an unbelievable experience, and it really says something when you don’t have to ask for school spirit. Anything that can improve school spirit, we’re all for it.” Rams basketball last year gave the school something to unite behind, and no matter what the tally in the wins and losses column is, that is something that will always remain intact. That said, this is a dangerous team that is looking to improve on its impressive performance last year and has all the pieces in place to do so. On December 15, the Rams traveled to Springfield to trade blows with its first league foe of the year. From there on after, anything can happen—there’s just an overwhelming feeling around Harriton that it’s going to be something good.