Philadelphia 76ers Midseason Update

The Philadelphia 76ers' Robert Covington (33) celebrates with teammates Joel Embiid (21) and Gerald Henderson after a 93-92 win against the Portland Trail Blazers on Friday, Jan. 20, 2017, at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia. (Yong Kim/Philadelphia Daily News/TNS)

TNS

TNS

Andrew Kofsky, Sports Editor

As the Philadelphia 76ers near the All Star Break in February, they have played excellent basketball as of late. The 76ers currently have a 7-3 record in the month of January, one of the best in the NBA. On the season, the team has a record of 15-27, putting them in 4th place in the Eastern Conference Atlantic Division, ahead of the Brooklyn Nets.

Fans from around the league have been excited by rookie Joel “The Process” Embiid. Embiid embraces this nickname, a reference to former general manager Sam Hinkie’s mantra as it relates to rebuilding to contend for a championship.

Embiid has been nothing short of sensational, averaging 19.8 points per game, 7.8 rebounds per game, and 2.5 blocks per game in a limited 25.3 minutes per game. Embiid placed highly in the fan all star vote, and may very well earn the nod as a reserve, although he did not make the game as a starter. Embiid gives many 76ers fans a sense of hope amid recent losing seasons.

Embiid’s supporting cast has been solid thus far. Ersan Ilyasova, Jahlil Okafor, Jerryd Bayless, and Robert Covington are all averaging at least 10 points per game. Ilysasova, Dario Saric, and Covington are each putting up at least 5 rebounds per game and point guards Sergio Rodriguez and TJ McConnell are each averaging over 5 assists per game.

Overall, the 76ers feature a balanced offensive attack that is sure to become more lethal when #1 overall pick Ben Simmons returns to the court from injury.

On defense, Covington, McConnell, and Nerlens Noel are each averaging over 1 steal per game. Along with Embiid, Okafor is averaging at least 1 block per game. The team’s defense as a whole has been energized, but still needs to improve in order for the 76ers to make the playoffs. Be sure to watch out for your 76ers!