Spotlight: How Did Your Parents Meet?

Among the Harriton student body stood a few students who were kind enough to share how their parents first met. Whether it was in college, through a blind date, or during a New Years Eve party, these stories seemed to capture the true essence of romance. So, for those of you who are big romantics and adore those cute personal anecdotes regarding lovely couples, here are a few to read and enjoy.

“My parents met on New Years. They were both sitting next to each other and when midnight struck, my dad suddenly kissed my mom by surprise. Ever since that kiss, they’ve been in love.”

-Aliza Wolf

“My parents grew up in Michigan.  When they were both 15, they both belonged to a Youth Volunteer group that met once a month at member’s houses.  One month, my mom went to the wrong house, but once there she saw a younger sibling of a member crying.  Trying to cheer him up, she started reading a picture book to the young boy.  About 10 minutes after my mom arrived, my dad arrived, also at the wrong house!  My dad saw my mom sitting there reading to the boy, and he says it was love at first sight.  He invited my mom out on a date, but she said she would only go if she could bring her younger brother, so the three of them went out to chucky cheese.  They had a great time, and have been together ever since, for 32 years!”

– Lindsay McKendrick

“My mom was in a restaurant with her friends and my dad, who didn’t know her at the time, happened to be in the same restaurant. My mom’s friends thought he was so nerdy looking so they dared her to go talk to him and she did. He said his name was John and stuck by that fake name for about 6 months – until he decided to finally tell her.”

-Marc Paquin

“My parents were both born and raised in Dublin, Ireland and lived in the same small town. My mom was older than my dad and they had always known each other and then one summer when my dad was 19, he went to Germany for a summer. My mom used to work with my dad’s mom, and when he came back she set them up and then after they went out once, it was LOVE! They dated for 10 years then finally got married. A few months later, they saved up and moved to America.”

-Holly Keane

“My dad’s sister worked at my mom’s family pizza shop and she set my mom up with him; it was love at first sight for them!”
-Louie Colella

“My parents met at boarding school, when my dad heard my mom playing the piano and he fell in love with her.  After high school they stayed together and they’ve been together ever since.”

-Lexi Harder

“My parents met through a mutual friend. The first words exchanged were “I have that sweater too, but mine’s cashmere.” The comment bothered my mom, but she let it slide after seeing her future dog.”

Jaye Aster Broder

“My parents went to Welsh Valley and Harriton together. When my dad was dating one of my mom’s friends, they were formally introduced. They went to prom with different people, but at the end of the night ended up together. My mom graduated a year early and went to UMD and they stayed together. The next year, my dad graduated and went to Lehigh – and my mom drove up every weekend to Bethlehem to see him. Then, my dad went to law school and stayed with her as she got a job. They got married after he graduated.”

– Courtney Touchstone

As all these personal encounters resulted in happy relationships, it is always great to see such healthy marriages evolve from something so simple – while some couples met each other by merely bumping into one another at a grocery store and while others had the pleasure of spending their high school years with the love of their life, the relationships grew into a successful partnership. And as young adults, we should simply view these happy couples as models; hopefully, in the future, we can find ourselves in just as happy relationships as them.