A Perfect Vision

Dating back to the time of elementary school, I had always been the frustrated student in art class due to my lack of artistic abilities.  I would always admire, and would sometimes be jealous of, those who actually could draw and paint with ease and perfection.  I remember watching the flawless artists and thinking, “He has some real talent!” or “she’ll be an artist one day!”  I always wondered if these students would actually pursue their talents, or focus on their academic studies until they would be ready to have a career.

From as long as we can remember, we have always been told to set a goal and achieve it or to follow our dreams.  For many of us, it seems difficult to pursue our dreams at this point in our lives because we have one tiny commitment standing in our ways: school.  However, two Harriton students have taken the initiative to pursue their dreams earlier than most of us.

Senior Ameer Carter and his brother, junior Zaakir, or Zaak, Carter, started their graphic design company, Beyond Reality LLC, three years ago.  Ameer, the Chief Exectuive Officer (CEO), Co-Founder and Lead Designer on all graphic design project, says the company begun just as a simple idea, and “now it has evolved from a discussion in the dining room to a full on graphic design and music studio.”  Ameer and Zaak wanted to start a company that incorporated both of their interests: art and music.  Zaak serves as the Chief Operating Officer (COO), Co-Founder and Lead Engineer on all music projects.  “Ideas fired left and right, sketches were drafted and in three short hours, Beyond Reality was more than just an inception. It became an organic entity and truly developed on its own,” says Ameer.

So how does the graphic design process work exactly?  Ameer and Zaak begin by having a phone conversation with their client.  The client describes exactly how he or she envisions an image, and Ameer and Zaak try their best to match the client’s wants.  From the perspective of a graphic designer, this entails finding a solution to a company’s problem in a visual format.  Before the designing process begins, Ameer and Zaak receive a down payment from the client.  The brothers then proceed to plan a timeline of how they will accomplish their task on time, according to the specific package the client has purchased.  When the logistics are settled, the brothers are ready to put their creative minds to work and begin the designing process.  The sketching process lasts about two to three days.  When they are satisfied with their designs, multiple sketches are uploaded on their website for their client to view.  The client chooses the sketch that best represents his desires, and the design process is in action, lasting one to three weeks.  The amount of time spent on a design depends on other clients’ needs at the time as well as how much work and detail the client wants to be put into his or her design.  Most of their works have included logos, web design, album covers, and designs for t-shirts and sneakers.  Their most popular designs are logos and sneakers.

It is difficult to believe that Ameer and Zaak are able to balance managing a company as well as attending school, five days a week, just like the rest of us.  While juggling rigorous classes, participating in school clubs and sports, and keeping up with deadlines for clients, time management plays a large factor in the brothers’ lives.  Sure, they are stressed, but their efforts pay off.  The self-imposed time management skills the Carters are learning through juggling their commitments serve as a key component to their educational and business successes.

How successful has this three-year-old business been?  “The level of professional content we produce over years of being in the business measures our success.  I believe that while we are still a young company and have a lot to learn, we are moving at a fast pace.  With every new client, our quality and thought process gets better, and cleaner,” remarks Ameer.

The Carters plan to put their works with their graphic design company to good use in the future.  Ameer would like to accomplish pursuing graphic design as a career.  His happiness and quality of life is important to him, and by doing what he loves, he knows he will achieve this.  Zaak’s expertise is in the design of music and will most likely focus on music production in the future.

The Carter brothers have a number of goals for the future of their company.  They plan to develop their portfolio and continue to advertise themselves to increase their client network, as well as continuing to work with their current and past clients.  It is important to stay in contact with past clients to they can ensure that they can become their primary source of design or production works.  They hope to eventually market themselves through search engines, radio stations, newspapers, and TV media.  After all, there is no use in having a well-established company if no one knows about it!  As the spring approaches, the Carters are planning their clothing line for the spring and summer seasons.  The designs will highlight great moment in Ameer’s life.

Ameer and Zaak are reaching further than just trying to achieve their short terms goals and have set the standards high.  They want Beyond Reality to become a major player in the design, music, and fashion industry.  Their dream is not only to keep their company alive, but to become distinguished individuals and in the designing world.  The Carters hope to be called by popular artists to help them promote themselves and produce Grammy-winning, multi-platinum albums.  Another wish they have is to be called by the commission for the major fashion shows to promote their collections, and to be involved in New York Premier Fashion Week.  With their future successes, Ameer and Zaak plan to have their works be featured in magazines as the next company to watch.  Sure, their objective may seem larger than the aspiring lawyer or doctor, but their dreams are obtainable.  It is a complex, time-consuming process, but that will not Ameer and Zaak from being determined to reach their goals.

The Carter siblings have certainly taken their passion to the next level.  Their inspiration and enthusiasm for graphic design and music production is the driving force that keeps their company alive.  They exemplify the motto that you should “do what you love, and love what you do.”  While pursuing a dream with dedication and hard work, one can achieve anything imaginable.  When you watch the Superbowl in a few years, look out for the commercial that everyone will be raving about—designed by Ameer and Zaak Carter.  After all, every dream fulfilled begins as a simple vision.