December’s INDIE CORNER

Sarah Posusney and Julia Jaspers
Staff Writers

Blacks Kids
Song: Look At Me (When I Rock Wichoo)
The Black Kids, despite the misleading name, only actual have two African American members. The Jacksonville based group forms indie-pop “don’t stop til’ya drop” dance tracks. Their genre is hard nail, each song is filled with different aspects of 70’s and 80’s era, but the fundamental mood the songs put you in is “Hey, let’s hit the floor!”
– Julia

The Apples in Stereo
Song: Skyway
The 60s pop sounding group can easily resemble The Beatles and Beach Boys with mellow, hippie lyrics. Most of the band’s credit should go to Robert Schneider, the last standing founding member of the group who is also the lead guitarist and vocalist, he always writes most of the songs. Also each of their tracks is composed fantastically with loads of interesting effects like handclapping and new-age synthetics. The energy and positivity of each track will be sure to please.
– Julia

Sonic Youth
Song: Teen Age Riot
NOISE! GUITAR! CHAOS! Sonic Youth’s sound is noticed mainly with their distinctive instrumental dirge, radical smattering of transcendent feedback and pounding heavy drumbeats. Sonic youth’s music is a perfect mix full of free roaming guitar riffs and incomprehensible grumblings, making a charming, yet rowdier sound. You may have heard one of their songs in the Motion Picture “Juno.” Check it.
-Sara

The Octopus Project
Song: The Adjuster
A sensational experimental indie band is emerging from a brilliant spectrum of rugged distorted guitars, staggering sounds of glockenspiel, trombones, synthesizers, and drums, ending with a luminescent tone of the Theremin. Their name? The Octopus Project! This group of young, noise-rock musicians are electrifying the music world with their unique style, including their unhinged drummery, strange electrifying sounds, and hypnotic rhythms that leave you lost in cascading waves of sonic bliss. The Octopus Project has 3 full-length albums from Peek-a-Boo records, and has already had seven nationwide tours that sold out. Their guitar feedback mixed with otherworldly melodies paint brilliant contrasting colours in the listeners mind, and balances out their overall sound. Go lose yourself in an avalanche of The Octopus Project!
-Sara