Quidditch Called Off In Effort to Avoid Injury

Monday, November 7, 2011 marked what was to have been the first annual quidditch tournament at Harriton High School. Beginning at 7:00 pm on the dot, the players representing the four houses gathered in the gym to display their skills at the de-magicked version of Harry Potter’s favourite sport. Complete with festive goalposts, official-looking hoops, a commentator’s stand, and noodles to represent broomsticks, the night promised to be nothing short of interesting.

The quidditch players, bedecked in their respective house colors (yellow for Hufflepuff, green for Slytherin, blue for Ravenclaw, and red for Gryffindor), began the night to a slow start. However, as more spectators filled the bleachers and the heated commentary of Cole Oldfield, Rachel Eisenstat, Cassie Seltzer, and the reporter filled the air, play became more intense. Snitches Ryan Smith, Peter Downs, and Marta Elliot were not spared, and all of the running and throwing and catching of balls created several minor casualties. Although enthusiasm from the crowd ran high, the number of people falling down was an indicator to the administration that it was only a matter of time before one of the players became seriously injured.

The games were shut down before the clock struck 9 pm on Monday, the word “annual” in conjunction to quidditch at Harriton no longer extant. Student Council president Bryan Ellis, coordinator of the quidditch games, was not available for comment. Similarly, the public will have to wait for a statement from the administrators involved in ending the event. A full report on the evening is to follow in the coming days.