‘Open Air’ Lights Up Philadelphia

If you want to see Rafael Lozano-Hemmer’s new public art installation, this is your last chance!

For those who don’t know, Open Air is an interactive art installation in Philadelphia. It started running on September 20, 2012, and will continue through October 14, 2012, every evening from 8-11 p.m.

The project is operated by participants’ voices. People around the area can record messages up to thirty seconds in length, from poems to rants to proposals. The voice frequencies and volume make the twenty-four powerful searchlights located around the city that react to brightness and position. The interactive area is within a one-mile radius on Philadelphia’s Benjamin Franklin Parkway, though the project can be seen from up to ten miles away depending on weather conditions.

Anyone can record and listen to messages on Open Air’s website, www.openairphilly.net, or on Open Air Philly from Apple’s App Store. Priority is given to those who send in messages through the mobile app within the interactive area, though highly rated messages from the website will be played as well. There is also an information center located in Eakins Oval (24th Street and the Parkway.)