What’s Happening in Haiti And How You Can Help

As most of us know by now, an earthquake struck Haiti on January 12.  The country was torn apart: schools and hospitals, as well as a prison, collapsed. Thousands were killed; many were left homeless or trapped in different buildings, unable to escape.  As the days passed, there were other earthquakes in the same area, further damaging this Caribbean land.  Thankfully, helping hands reached Haiti quickly: volunteer organizations such as UNICEF, the Mercy Corps, buildOn, CARE, and the Red Cross immediately brought supplies and aid to the Haitians in need.  These groups have made sacrifices to help.
Over the past few years, Haiti has consistently had a low GDP (Gross Domestic Product). Haiti has lacked efficiency and finance, and continues to have a severe trade deficit. Unfortunately, Haiti relies and extremely depends on international economic assistance.  Without help and a crutch, Haiti has been unable to make the strides that it needs to fully develop into an industrialized nation.  However, because Haiti has been trapped in this cycle of poverty, this earthquake has only caused more hardships.  Haiti needs outside help.
buildOn’s International Program Manager, Skyler Badenoch, was in Haiti at the time of the first earthquake. Luckily, he was not injured, and, with other volunteers, he jumped right into action.  About a week later, Badenoch sent two emails to the head of buildOn, where he described the dire situation. “Just wanted to let you know that we are still safe,” he wrote. “We ran out of supplies yesterday, so Clerge drove back to Cayes late last night to get more from Hope for Haiti.  We were able to use the supplies that we had to set up a first aid clinic in Carrefour.  With the help of several Haitian doctors and nurses, the clinic was able to treat around 100 people with broken bones, burns and deep cuts, and some with loss of fingers and toes. For some people, there is nothing that can be done right now without surgeons. There are thousands around us who are wounded badly and everyone is suffering at very complex levels […] I’d say that about 3/4 of the people here say that their homes are completely destroyed. The others are too afraid to go home because even today the earth has not stopped shaking. […] Our job: to bring in the supplies so Haitians can help themselves.”
Lastly, Badenoch shared some important lessons to keep in mind: “Be self-sufficient, flexible, and cooperative. Having […] many friends here is invaluable.  Make sure you help other organizations and they will help you. Be creative and willing to do anything. From helping save a life to lifting a box of water, it’s all part of the collective effort.  Aid workers with egos are sugar in the gas tank.  Don’t complain too much about things not working or lack of cooperation. The complexity is too great to expect efficiency right now.  Learn people’s names and remember them.  Be wiling to sleep anywhere and shower infrequently.  Drink water and give water.  Check up on people and follow through on promises.”
A month has passed after the massive earthquake in Haiti. Yet the Haitians still need your help.  These people are courageous and possess a great amount of perseverance.  Their lives have been shaken and drastically changed.  There are multiple opportunities for you to contribute and give them the support that they need!  The Haitians need inspiration and they need to continue fighting.  With your help, optimism will transcend over them.  For starters, you can attend awareness events for Haiti, such as Harriton’s Haiti Coffeehouse.  You can directly donate money to any non-profit organization, being careful that the NGO is reliable and helpful. Your community is brimming with projects to aid Haiti – you just need to take the initiative and understand that everything you do, whether big or small, can make a world of difference!