LMSD Settles Reconstruction Lawsuits of the Past

The Lower Merion School District (LMSD) elementary and middle school reconstruction projects have been completed for several years now, however school officials have only recently settled two lawsuits involving the renovations. According to The Main Line Times, during a recent board meeting, the district made the decision to pay money for Merion Elementary School’s renovation and recover money for Bala Cynwyd Middle School’s reconstruction. During the meeting, the district approved a settlement plan to pay $865,000 to Ernest Bock & Sons Inc, a contracting company from Philadelphia. They were hired in 2003 and later fired during the construction of Merion Elementary School due to the District’s complaints over the pace of work. A different company later completed Merion in 2005. The Main Line times stated that the settlement agreement said, the company was “[S]eeking to recover sums which Bock claimed were due and owing as a result of alleged wrongful termination of the Bock contract for default […].” Bock first sued the district in 2004, originally seeking $2.929 million. Bock later sued the architect and the district’s construction manager in 2005. The total amount of money that will be paid to Bock is $1.150 million, with $285,000 being paid by the architect and construction manager and $865,000 being paid by the district. Kelly/Maiello Inc., the architect for the project, will pay $275,000 while the district’s construction manager, Foreman Program and Construction Managers Inc., will pay $10,000. Taxpayers’ money will go towards the district’s agreed amount to Bock. The Main Line Times also reported that the Board also approved a settlement between the district and Einhorn Yaffee Prescott Architecture regarding the construction at Bala Cynwyd Middle School. According to the agreement, the district will be paid $125,000 to settle a suit the district filed against EYP. The disagreement between the district and EYP resulted from exceed in cost. During the board meeting the members unanimously decided to approve both agreements. The board also approved a letter from Superintendent Christopher McGinley. This formally revokes the declaration that Ernest Bock & Sons Inc. had failed to fulfill their obligations stated in their contract for the Merion Elementary School project. It also deems the cancellation of the contract for convenience.