Lower Merion Police Not Guilty of Racism

A few months ago Kerry Godbold, a local veteran police officer attended a board meeting. Here, she exclaimed that the police department discriminates against black officers. After hearing these allegations, Lower Merion hired Verita LLC from Malvern to independently investigate these allegations. Lower Merion Township had estimated the cost of this investigation to be $9,400. However, this price has increased to $12,400.

Out of the 140 officers in the Lower Merion Police Department, only three of these officers are black. It should also be noted that none of these officers hold a high position. However, page 18 on the report by Verita claims, “Witness interviews and document review revealed no evidence of discrimination at any stage of the department’s recruitment, testing and appointment processes for the entry-level police officer position. There is also no evidence of discrimination during the promotion process.” The report investigates many things including, the recruitment and promotion process and information on where ads asking for jobs are located. Ads were once placed in the Black Suburban Journal. However, after 2006, the township stopped placing ads in this journal. This is because none of the interviewees indicated that this ad was were they found the job. Other ads were sent to colleges such as Lincoln and Cheyney, two historically black schools. Ads were also sent to churches consisting of mostly black members.

A survey was recently taken of all of the applicants. The survey required the applicant to state their race, sex, marital status, and national origin. This was an anonymous survey and was simply used to determine what type of people applied for positions. 86 to 92 percent of the applicants finished this survey. The results showed that 17 to 21 percent were not white and 14 to 17 percent were African American.

While the investigation may prove otherwise, some people still believe minorities are discriminated against during the application process. One witness claims that in 2004, a white man was given assistance when preparing for the application process. He was given books and an area to study. Supt. Mike McGrath claims that this person did not receive any special treatment but was hired for other reasons.

Dawn and Kerry Godbold reiterate that they do not so much believe that it is difficult to receive a job, as it is to move up to a better job position. Dawn has helped to distribute information about recruitment opportunities to black people. However, she feels that the “social mobility” is limited.