California Bans Therapy for Changing Sexual Orientation

Brennan M. King illustration (The Palm Beach Post 2012) MCT
King

Although same-sex marriage is still illegal in California, the state has begun reforming in favor of gay rights. Just this past weekend, California banned a form of therapy that attempts to change the sexual orientation of children and teenagers.  California is the first state to prohibit this practice of therapy.

According to CNN, this type of therapy has a record of causing depression, and in some cases, suicide. Governor Jerry Brown called for such actions to end. The bill passed on Saturday prohibits therapists, licensed counselors, and religious leaders from attempting to change the sexual orientation of anyone under the age of 18.

Not all people are in agreement with this bill. The American Psychiatric Association believes that “therapists’ alignment with societal prejudices against homosexuality may reinforce the self-hatred already felt by patients.” The bill faces a legal challenge from The American Psychiatric Association.

Contrary to the views of the American Psychiatric Association, another group believes this bill is a step in the right direction. Equality California is one of the largest statewide advocacy groups in California that works towards “full equality” for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people, according to CNN. Spokeswomen Rebekah Orr from Equality California praises this bill as the “first step in making sure that young people are protected from these unscrupulous therapists who are really engaging in therapeutic deception that is based on junk science.”

In 2003 Robert L. Spitzer came out with his study of “reparative therapy,” which suggests that therapy could help make gays and lesbians become straight. However, earlier this year, Spitzer apologized for his study, “I believe I owe the gay community an apology for my study making unproven claims of the efficacy of reparative therapy.” Ryan Kendall went through this kind of therapy when he was just thirteen years old. Kendall said that the therapy led him to “periods of homelessness, to drug abuse, to spending a decade of my life wanting to kill myself. And I want them to know what they do hurts people.”

Kendall is not the only who is in full support of this bill being passed. Many applaud California for being the first state that has prohibited sexual-reparation therapy.  While it may seem as though gays, lesbians , and bisexuals are on their ways to gaining full civil rights, the issue of sexual orientation continues to stir controversy throughout the country.