Gems Not Genocide Nail Salon Fundraiser

On Saturday, September 29, the Aroma Nail Salon was packed with Harriton students and their family members. The crowd spent the day getting their nails done, buying jewelry and baked goods, and being pampered. The cause of this mass of students was a fundraiser held by the Gems Not Genocide club. This student-run Harriton club collaborated with Aroma Nail Salon and Nova Grill to raise money for their foundation. Both companies helped by donating a certain percentage of that day’s profits to the cause. Throughout the course of the day, 95 people helped Darfur by getting manicures and pedicures. A few male students even got their nails done to support the cause! This successful event, planned by Abri Bernstein and Sam Braver, helped raise around $1,200 for Africa.

Gems Not Genocide is a club focused on helping to properly educate the destitute children of Darfur. A majority of the club’s profits are donated to a new school currently being built in Darfur. This beneficial center will help to educate many deprived Africans, and hopefully assist to end the Genocide.

Along with this nail salon fundraiser, Gems Not Genocide runs a large amount of fundraisers throughout the year. The club will be selling jewelry and baked goods on Election Day as well as during specified weeks throughout the school year.  Due to the success of this fundraiser, the Gems Not Genocide foundation plans to run a second nail salon event in the spring for Mother’s Day.