Scottish Independence Referendum

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon during the debate on a second referendum on independence at Scotland's Parliament in Holyrood, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK, Tuesday March 28, 2017. Photo by Fraser Bremmer/Daily Mail/PA Wire/ABACAPRESS.COM

PA Photos/ABACA

PA Photos/ABACA

Last Tuesday, the fifth First Minister of Scotland and the leader of the Scottish National Party, Nicola Sturgeon, announced her intention to hold a second referendum on independence for Scotland.

The Scottish Parliament formally backs the decision, but the UK says it will block the referendum until the Brexit process is complete.

The Brexit process could take between two to three years, just as the Brexit negotiations are due to reach their final stage.

Sturgeon wants the referendum to occur in the next two years. Prime Minister Theresa May of the United Kingdom has not ruled out a second referendum, but she rejected the proposed timetable.

Sturgeon says the referendum is needed to allow Scotland the freedom to decide its path in the wake of the Brexit vote.

She commented, “My argument is simply this: when the nature of the change that is made inevitable by Brexit becomes clear, that change should not be imposed upon us, we should have the right to decide the nature of that change. The people of Scotland should have the right to choose between Brexit – possibly a very hard Brexit – or becoming an independent country, able to chart our own course and create a true partnership of equals across these islands.”

Scottish voters in 2014 rejected independence by 55% to 45%. Sturgeon believes the UK’s move to leave the EU is a material change in circumstances, which entitles the Scottish people a second chance to decide.