Middle East: A Two-State Solution

Over the past few weeks the United Nations has been looking at granting Palestine statehood. Opinion is largely split on this isssue.

From an Israeli viewpoint a two-state solution is the key to gain peace in the Middle East. Israelis feel that the conflict needs to be resolved bilaterally, with Israelis and Palestinians discussing solutions in which both sides can be accommodated. Currently, Palestinians only want to discuss a unilateral solution. This is not fair to the Israelis due to the fact that they need to be involved in all peace processes for the area. Having a unilateral peace process would only further hinder the ultimate goal of an end to conflict. Furthermore, a peace process that involves only Palestinians would not be safe for the state of Israel, as the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) would be forced to leave its post on the West Bank, leaving Jewish settlements vulnerable to extremist attacks. The Israelis want peace and feel that it can be achieved when the Palestinians are ready to negotiate. The United Nations also wants peace, but can the Israelis be guaranteed safety? As Benjamin Netanyahu, the Prime Minister of Israel, says: “Our policy is very simple. The Jewish state was set up to defend Jewish lives, and we always reserve the right to defend ourselves.”

The Palestinians also want a two-state solution. They’re tired of being separated from their Holy City of Jerusalem and the rest of the world by the Israelis. The city of Jerusalem has caused much unrest in the Middle East, as it is the Holy land of the Palestinians, Jews, and many others. One of the reasons the Palestinians want peace is so that they can visit Jerusalem without going through multiple checkpoints. Also, if the West Bank achieves statehood, Palestine will be free from occupation. Many individuals living in the West Bank believe that the occupation has held Palestine back from success in the region. Furthermore, the Palestinians want a unilateral vote from the United Nations so that they can become a state without Israel’s approval. The United Nations wants to resolve the issues in the Middle East, but can’t until the IDF leaves the West Bank. As Mahmoud Abbas, the President of Palestine, says: “I can certainly put myself in Israel’s shoes. They are humans just like we are. They want peace and security inside their borders.”

Even though Palestine wants its independence, it will take many months for the United Nations to declare their verdict. Each side has a fair argument for why or why not Palestine should be granted statehood. One thing is for certain; the conflict must be resolved so more people do not lose their lives.