The Bed Intruder

Kevin “Antoine” Dodson, resident of the Lincoln Park housing project in Huntsville, Alabama had no idea he’d be a two-time Internet sensation when he was interviewed by NBC this past July.  Dodson was interviewed July 28th shortly after his sister claimed an intruder had attempted to violate her.  Apparently, Antoine immediately went in to try to save his sister after hearing screams.  Despite a bit of shock, Dodson overcame all fears and went on camera to warn the intruder of his eventual downfall.

Ironically, Antoine’s flamboyant attitude and appearance helped him become an instant Internet hit.  He first warns others that there is a “rapist in Lincoln Park…he’s climbin’ in your windows…snatchin’ your people up, tryin’ to rape ‘em, so you need to hide your kids – hide your wife – and hide your husband, ‘cause they’re rapin’ err’body up in here…”  Besides a wordsmith and town crier, Dodson is a protector of his people.  Dodson directly addresses the intruder (while pointing with intimidating gestures at the camera) and asserts that he is “really dumb” for leaving evidence of his intrusion around and outside Dodson’s house.  He then sends a warning that the intruder doesn’t have to confess, because he’s being searched for.  Dodson adds, “you can run and tell that… homeboy.”  For those of you who aren’t familiar with these slang words – that is an insult and a threat.

As if he hadn’t gained enough popularity, The Gregory Brothers, famous for “Auto-Tune the News” on YouTube, edited the video so that it was transformed into an R&B/Hip-Hop remix of the original interview.  Dodson’s outrageous threats and claims were thus turned into a melodic tune for all to enjoy. Dodson’s voice (and his the voice of his sister, Kelly) was auto-tuned and fit into a produced track in such a way that sounds as if they were hired to record the song in a professional studio.  The video went viral and eventually even hit 89 on Billboard’s Hot 100 list.

Even through the halls of Harriton High School, children can be heard reciting the every-so-catchy chorus “He’s hidin’ in yo’ windows, snatchin’ yo people up…” Something about the absurdity of the original video, mixed with the instant memorability of the melody makes the song an instant classic.

While yes, it may seem as though Dodson is being mocked, especially after a traumatic incident in the family, it may be justified to a certain extent.  The Dodsons have made a significant amount of profit off the sales on iTunes and t-shirts.  Dodson himself has produced and sold t-shirts and has endorsed a bed intruder Halloween costume and sex offender iPhone application.  He has appeared on many radio shows, and has recently launched a website where he encourages others to help him get his family “out of the hood.”  He is slowly making more money to help his family move to a more stable neighborhood, as well as to setting up a foundation for juvenile diabetes.

Check out the “Bed Intruder” song along with the original interview on YouTube or iTunes. Help support the Dodsons by visiting his website at Antoine-dodson.com.