Laid-back Learning

Do you ever lie awake at night, wishing you could learn just one more thing before you go off to sleep? Or are you unable to sleep, so you just go watch some videos on YouTube? If so, then I have good news for you, because you can do both of those at the same time.

Contrary to popular belief, YouTube has much more than Gangnam Style and videos of Bill O’Reilly screaming. In fact, there are many YouTube channels that have very interesting and educational videos.

One such YouTube channel is a called Numberphile. As the name suggests, these videos are all about numbers. Numberphile has videos about the math of a Rubik’s Cube, Yahtzee, and various other mathematical phenomena. If you like watching British people talk about math and numbers, then you’re definitely going to want to check out Numberphile.

Are you more into science than math? That’s perfectly understandable. If you especially like physics, then you’ll love the YouTube channel Minute Physics. These videos include drawings and simple, easy to understand explanations of great topics such as the Higgs Boson particle, why the night sky is dark, and determining who is faster: Usain Bolt or gravity.

The videos on Minute Physics are both fascinating and educational, and some of them, like a video about what it would be like if Earth was hollow, are also quite amusing. Another reason that these videos are great is that they are only a few minutes long, but they contain a lot of information that is organized in an easy-to-learn format.

Another great channel is Vsauce. Vsauce is similar to Minute Physics, in that they have interesting and education videos that are easy to understand. However, these videos are less focused on physics. Some of them include how hot it can get, what color a mirror is, what would happen if everybody on Earth jumped at once, how tall it is possible to build, and why yawning is contagious.

Some of the answers to these questions are better than others, but they are all worth watching. There are actually three Vsauce YouTube channels that are all different. In addition to the one just mentioned, there is also Vsauce2, which focuses more on music and art, and Vsauce 3, which is all about video games and apps. They have a Vsauce for practically everything, as long as everything fits into one of those three categories.

Of course, no article about science and math YouTube channels could be complete without mentioning Khan Academy. If you’ve ever taken a science or math class, you probably know about Khan Academy, both on YouTube and www.khanacademy.com.

What you might not know, however, is that Khan Academy also has video lessons on computer science, economics, and history. So next time you’re in the mood to watch a four part video lecture on the French Revolution, all you have to do is go to Khan Academy.

By watching these videos, you can enjoy all of the fun of learning, without having to worry about tests or homework. Now that’s the kind of deal that you just can’t get in school!