Helpful Tips to Avoid the Flu

Yes folks, it’s that time of year again, the one we all look forward to–flu season! The cold front is rolling in and along with the frost comes a nasty virus that we all greet ever so enthusiastically.

However, winter doesn’t necessarily have to be associated with an utter dread of disease and wonderful memories of the long hours spent with a box of tissues watching reruns. In fact, if you follow these helpful tips, you can keep yourself flu-free and enjoy ice skating and making snow angels this winter!

School nurse, Robbie Maron, was nice enough to lay out a few pointers to help you stay healthy and keep the flu at bay:

• Get enough sleep–you need the energy, especially if you have to fight off disease.
  • Eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and “good for you” foods–cutting down on sugar makes your immune system stronger and a balanced diet makes you healthier all around.
  • If you have to sneeze or cough make sure you do it into your elbow. No, using your hands does not have the same benefit; in fact it is detrimental to you and those around you.
  • Get a flu shot, that’s a no-brainer.
  • MOST IMPORTANTLY: wash your hands all the time. Mrs. Maron made sure to stress how this is the most important thing you can do to avoid the flu.

So, while you’re bundling up, make sure to remember these few worthwhile suggestions because they could keep you from being bedridden this season. And if you haven’t gotten your flu shot yet, you should go to the doctor’s soon. It’s worth braving the needle and enduring the ache.

Hope you have a happy, healthy, flu-less winter!