Gladwyne Blood Drive

In May of 2011, a four-year-old boy living in Gladwyne was diagnosed with neuroblastoma cancer. After hearing this news, many parents and teachers at the boys pre-school jumped in to help. They organized a blood drive for July 26 in Gladwyne. These blood drives would allow people to give blood directly to the boy by using a direct donation card. Many people who shared his blood type did this. Others donated blood to help any individual in need. One blood donation can save three lives.

The blood drive was held at St John Baptist Vianney Church located next to the Gladwyne Fire Station. The blood drive ran from 8 in the morning to 8 at night. There were three booths set up and appointments could be made every fifteen minutes. Around 60 people signed up for the blood drive and due to many walk-ons, the final count was exactly 100 donations. This number greatly exceeded the goal of only 80 donations. The boy’s mother claims that many times in the hospital she has noticed that the blood they are giving her son is labeled Gladwyne blood drive. The drive has helped to save this little boy’s life.

Due to the great success of the first blood drive, another blood drive was scheduled for October 12th. It was set to run from 8 in the morning to 8 at night at St. Christopher’s Church on Righters Mill Road in Gladwyne. There was also a lemonade stand at the blood drive. A friend of the family has recently connected with Alex’s Lemonade Stand and has created a team to collect money in support of this little boy. All of the donations at the lemonade stand will go directly to Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation on behalf of Team Gusto, the team created by the friend.

Austin Wortley, a Harriton senior also included his name in the blood drive. He wishes to raise awareness and increase the participation of donating blood for the American Red Cross. Austin was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma last year. After going through treatment, the cancer returned several months later.

Many people were excited for this blood drive. A man who donated blood at the last blood drive said, “The atmosphere was great. Many wonderful people working for the Red Cross and many wonderful people donating blood.” The blood drive has a special meaning to those who donate. The many posters located around the Main Line for the blood drive are stamped with “Please Help a Local Child in Need.” This is exactly what the blood drives have done. One of the organizers of the blood drive claims, “The community has come together to help uplift a local family. The first blood drive was a great success and we are expecting the same from the second.”