The Battle for Libya

Since the earliest months of 2011, all forms of media have been bursting with
information about the “Arab Spring”. International attention focused specifically on Libya due to Muammar Gaddafi’s use of violence against protesters and civilians. While news of demonstrations against Hosni Mubarak in Egypt lasted until February, when he relinquished power, Gaddafi was much more averse to losing his power. After six months of escalated violence between rebels and Gaddafi loyalists, Colonel Gaddafi was finally forced to go underground. However, the Libyan’s fight is by no means over. The future is as complicated as the past fight has been.

Libya’s 2011 uprising was instigated by the arrest of Fethi Tarbel, a human rights
activist. Protests over this action spread throughout the country and grew into general anger and discontent with the Libyan government. Gaddafi’s response was violence and claimed that the protesters were criminals spurred by Bin Laden who did not represent the views of the Libyan people. By the end of February, the conflict had escalated and rebels were fighting for control of cities. BBC News reports that in March, global intervention began when the UN Security Council issued a no-fly zone and NATO’s air raids helped rebels gain some ground. Battles continued through the summer and in August rebels seized Tripoli, Libya’s last loyalist city and officially gained control of the country.

As September dawned, Libyans paraded through Tripoli commemorating the end of
Gaddafi’s rule on what would have been its forty-second anniversary. Libyan joy was palpable, however as one Libyan said, “I can smell freedom but the stench of burning rubbish is stronger.”

Six months of fighting have trashed the Libyan landscape. A stable security system to prevent against looting and other dangers has yet to be put into place. A water shortage in Tripoli created by Gaddafi loyalists will only be fixed once pipeline workers can be assured of their safety. Workers in other jobs have similar fears of retaliation from Gaddafi’s forces if they return to work. The struggle has also left gaps in many families. Rebels firing guns into the air in celebration may have caused several deaths. Libya’s interim government, the National Transitional Council (NTC), states that over 40,000 Libyans are missing.

However, although the main battle is over, rebel fighters are still wrestling with loyalists to gain control of Sirte and locate Gaddafi. The fight for Sirte, Gaddafi’s hometown with a strong loyalist base, has continued throughout late September. Although the NTC still has the support of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), loyalists within Sirte have modern weapons and a conviction in their cause. Civilians remain in the city, however, the battles and casualties continue. It appears that the future of the city, just like the future of Libya itself will not be determined quickly.