Turkey’s Earthquake

On Sunday, October 23, eastern Turkey endured a 7.2 magnitude earthquake. Many aftershocks followed the quake, some having magnitudes as high as 5.3. This past week, rescuers and medics have been working to help the victims of the earthquake. The death toll is currently at 601, and over 4,100 people have been injured.

In Ecris, Turkey, 455 people have been reported dead. Conversely, about 230 people have been found alive in the rubble, as late as one hundred hours following the quake. According to CNN, eighty-four buildings have collapsed in Ecris, along with six more in the nearby city of Van.

The epicenter, or the center, of the earthquake was Van, a city in eastern Turkey. Having a population of 372,000, Van was greatly affected by the quake. An earthquake’s epicenter experiences the strongest part of the earthquake. This is because the epicenter is the earthquake’s initial rupture point. Due to the severity of the earthquake, Van is currently in ruins. The city is so bereft of industry and infrastructure that the cost of reconstruction will have little impact on the country’s economy. It is possible that reconstruction efforts may improve the economy, however, it could just as easily discourage development, as it serves as a reminder of how risky the area is to natural disaster.
The victims of the earthquake are currently in need of food and shelter. According to CNN, authorities said that relief crews have distributed 40,721 tents and 159,360 blankets to survivors. The United States and China are both reaching out to help the victims of the earthquake. The Pentagon reported that U.S. Defense Secretary, Leon Panetta, ordered the U.S. European Command to provide humanitarian relief supplies including blankets, cots, sleeping bags, and hygiene kits.

By the end of December, Turkey’s government intends to present a new law to parliament, which would see the evacuation of settlements in areas at high risk of natural disaster, The Anatolian Press reported. The agency said that laws governing construction and property management would also be modified under the supposed Urban Transformation Law.

Communities, as well as individuals, are reaching out to the survivors of the earthquake. For those who would like to help the victims of the quake, www.globalgiving.org has a relief fund, where you can donate money that will go towards Van, Turkey earthquake relief. You can also text GIVE VAN to 80088 to donate $10 to the Van, Turkey Earthquake Relief Fund.