Getting To Know Mr. Eveslage

As Harriton embarks on another year of success, the community welcomes a new principal to our herd, Mr. Eveslage. While some students may have gotten to know a little bit about this new leading figure in the building, The Banner wanted to get to know him a little more. As former high school teacher, and most recently, principal of Welsh Valley Middle School, Mr. Eveslage has been working in the educational field for quite some time.

He is passionate about his new role as the principal of Harriton High School, and we share a mutual excitement with him as we journey through the new school year. The Banner shares an interest with Mr. Eveslage, as he grew up with a father who was an educator in journalism. Mr. Eveslage was gracious enough to take the time to answer a few questions to help the Harriton community get to know their new principal.

Q: How will being a principal at Harriton be different than your previous years as a principal at Welsh Valley Middle School?
A: “The principalship itself carries with it the same primary responsibilities, but the execution of those responsibilities is very different. Each position requires being in tune with the developmental needs of the students in the school. It just so happens that the needs of high school aged students are very different than middle school students. High school is much more complex than middle school. With the college process, GPAs, transcripts, more comprehensive schedule offerings, and a wide range of co-curricular and extra-curricular experiences, high schools are simply more complex organizations.”

Q: Do you have any particular mentality, vision, or message for Harriton this year?
A: “I am a strong believer in the power of school culture. Harriton’s success over the years is very well documented and frequently measurable, but the school culture is more about how we all feel when we are here. Just under 1400 people will come to our building daily throughout the school year. I hope that all of us feel welcome and part of something bigger than ourselves as part of the Harriton community. This starts on the very basic level of committing to always dignifying one another and treating ourselves, others, and our building with respect. When everyone feels a sense of safety, belonging, and esteem, then we have a very healthy school culture. I consider this a foundation for all that we hope to accomplish here and oftentimes a prerequisite for student learning.”

Q: What are you most excited for?
A: “Interacting regularly with the students. I spent my ten years of teaching as a high school teacher, and I genuinely enjoy the day-to-day interactions with our students. Harriton students have been so initially impressive that this excitement has only grown as the year goes on.”

Q: What do you think will be your greatest challenge at Harriton?
A: “Every school year brings with it unique challenges. Through the year, there are stressful times for students, staff, and parents. Staying grounded and keeping school spirit high through these difficult times is always a challenge. While these challenges exist, the ebb and flow of the high school years are part of what makes it such a great experience. The culminating experiences of college acceptances, prom season, and graduation are times where we all really appreciate the challenges that we endured. While tough, it is hoped that the process is very rewarding. Staying grounded and balanced throughout this is the challenge.”

Q: What can you tell the students about yourself to help them get to know you a little bit better?
A: “While I am not particularly comfortable talking about myself, I am an open book so students can always ask me questions and I will answer truthfully. I hope students and staff find me to be approachable and to be willing to listen. I pride myself in being a listener and a learner. Since you asked, I can share a little bit…as a husband and father of two children, I love my family dearly and cherish the time I spend with them. Both of my parents and two grandparents held long careers as educators so education and teaching runs in our family.”

Q: Are there any specific changes that you plan to make to Harriton this year?
A: “There is not a specific major change that initially comes to mind. Our building leadership team has come up with instructional priorities for the school year that we hope are infused into, and continually reinforced, in the classroom. Some subtle changes may naturally occur as a result of my personality. My previous responses speak to some of what I value. Every person has to be who they are, so some changes that occur this year will be a natural consequence and direct reflection of who I am as a person. I have tremendous respect for the history of success at Harriton. There are a plethora of great things occurring daily at Harriton, and I hope to uphold the many proud traditions here.”

Q: How do you like the new building so far?
A: “I love it. It is big and takes some time to get used to, but I appreciate the pride that so many people take in keeping the facilities so nice. Our custodial crew is top-notch and the building is beautifully maintained. Walking the building can take its toll on the Principal’s feet, however.”