Teenage Bullying Leads to Suicide

Amanda Todd, a Vancouver-area teenager, was found dead Wednesday night in her home where authorities have suspected the cause of death was suicide. Prior to her death, Todd posted a YouTube video discussing her story of being bullied in school and online, as well as the depression and humiliation she has faced because of it. Barely revealing her face, Todd uses white cards with black writing to tell her story.

According to ABC News, throughout the video, Todd describes that she used webcam chats to meet and talk to new people online while she was in seventh grade. In doing so, she was pressured by a man to flash her chest and a year later, she did. This man began to threaten Todd to “put on a show” or else he would reveal the photo to everyone. During her Christmas break, police showed up at Todd’s house to tell her the picture she had revealed in a video chat had gone viral.

This news turned Todd’s world upside down. The teen started to experience depression and anxiety, and thought moving would solve the problem, but was wrong, as she got involved with drugs and alcohol.

After a year of moving, Todd explains that things started to get better until the man who had caused all of this tragedy made the picture of Todd his Facebook profile picture. As a result, Todd slipped back into her state of depression, lost her friends, and the respect of people around her.

She then got involved with an older boy, who had a girlfriend (he claimed she was on vacation). The girlfriend later found out about the relationship between Todd and her boyfriend, and began to bully Todd in school. According to ABC News, the girlfriend later confronted Todd during school; Todd’s peers surrounded her, and said, “look around, nobody likes you”. Todd was than punched several times and was later found in a ditch by her father. Later that day, she drank bleach to attempt suicide but was found and rushed to the hospital.

Todd moved schools, but the torture followed her through the Internet and on October 10, 2012, Todd was found dead. In honor of Anti-Bullying month, we must recognize the repercussions of such awful treatment towards others. To watch Amanda Todd’s tragic story, visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej7afkypUsc.