Second Presidential Debate

Last Tuesday, the debate took place in Long Island, New York, at Hofstra University. The second presidential debate seemed to be much more intense than the first, with Barack Obama’s laid-back style and Mitt Romney’s interruptions.

The two candidates were constantly critical of one another on the many different policies and ideas they both have, in regards to economic policy, immigration, gun control, and the questions brought up by members of the audience, although they did seem to come to an agreement when discussing the importance education. The debate may not alter the election’s outcome, but it certainly made each candidate’s approach clearer.

Once again, there are five big takeaways we can see from this debate. Obama definitely seemed to come to this debate more prepared than the previous. His focus and eagerness was apparent as he constantly took advantage of each opportunity that it was his time to speak.

Romney made sure to note each of Obama’s alleged failures as president. According to NPR, Romney “complained that the president had mischaracterized his record and rhetoric on issues such as tax policy.” He drew attention to high unemployment, trillion-dollar deficits, failure to reform entitlements, no plan to for illegal immigration, and an increase in poverty, and foot stamps. With the many problems that Romney addressed, he aimed to get voters to trust that he could fix them. Yet the undecided voters are not just undecided, but unhappy. One student admitted he voted for Obama in 2008, but is considering changing his mind this time because the things he needs for everyday life are now too expensive.

Both candidates also made many references to the past. They brought up George W. Bush and Ronald Reagan and the issues they faced when they were president.

A last major point that both candidates discussed was the foreign policy. With the frequent discussion it had on Tuesday’s debate, it only continued on to tonight’s debate. Obama took full responsibility for what happened in Benghazi last Tuesday, even though Hilary Clinton recently took all of the blame for what had happened. Although he took the blame, Obama took offense to Romney saying that he had neglected the crisis in Libya in order to campaign.

Another successful debate leaves the audience anticipating the next, and many of the undecided voters still undecided. With time running out, it will be interesting to see what the polls say after tonight’s debate.