Philadelphia Area Calendar of December Events

Miller
David Miller/The Seattle Times 2012/MCT

Happy December to all! Though this is definitely the month of holiday spirit, it’s not all about the Christmas/Chanukah/etc. festivities. Read on for a list of local activities for the month of December.

For those of us who drive, a bonus to the holiday season: all metered parking in Philadelphia and Ardmore is free on Saturdays from now until Christmas. So save your quarters and head out shopping!

On Saturday, December, 8th, the Army-Navy game returns to Lincoln Financial Field. Watch our military sectors face off against each other in a heated football rivalry! (Tickets and information on events leading up found here)

If you’re not into football, the Four Seasons is hosting holiday “Teatime in Wonderland” every Saturday this December. These include Nutcracker-inspired dances and what is described as “a gourmet marshmallow bar,” among others. For a menu, check out the Four Seasons’ website.

On December 5th, mayoral spouse Lisa Nutter will be hosting the city’s annual Christmas Tree-lighting ceremony at Christmas Village.

Speaking of lighted trees, Longwood Gardens‘ display  is now open through January 6th, 2013 — with half a million lights. Get tickets online for a specific time and enjoy the sights!

For holiday preparations, stay local and hit up Main Line Art Center’s craft fair, running now through December 9th. Find jewelry, glassware, hangable and wearable art to gift to those you know/love, and check it out ahead of time via the art center’s website.

On December 9th, The Punk Rock Flea Market returns to Philadelphia for its annual Holiday Edition. Craft vendors from across the area will be selling their wares in conjunction with locals who just want to get rid of their (cool) stuff. Three dollars admission is worth it for the festive atmosphere and cheap novelty goods.

Try ice skating at the Blue Cross RiverRink this winter! Open until March, it’s a great workout and lots of fun by yourself or with a group, and at a reasonable price.

And finally, to wrap up 2012, head down to the waterfront for fireworks! Happy new year and happy viewing!