Marijuana Legalized in Washington State

Hundreds of people gathered in Seattle shortly before midnight of December 6 to “light up” as soon as Washington Initiative 502, Marijuana Legalization and Regulation, took effect.

This past election day, approximately 55% of Washington residents voting on the issue supported the measure, carrying the support of sixteen state officers. The measure was sponsored by a group called New Approach Washington, led by former US Attorney for the Western District of Washington John McKay.

The celebration at midnight on the 6th was illegal under the provisions of Initiative 502: public smoking of marijuana is prohibited. Seattle police decided not to ticket “Hempfest” and, according to the Huffington Post, told its 1,300 officers not to issue any citations for public smoking for the time being.

In an appeal to cannabis supporters, the department’s spokesperson, Jonah Spangenthal-Lee, wrote on the website that  “The police department believes that, under state law, you may responsibly get baked, order some pizzas and enjoy a `Lord of the Rings’ marathon in the privacy of your own home, if you want to.” That is, if you are over 21. Everyone of age can own up to an ounce at any time, but selling is not permitted.

The state, under Part III of the bill, plans to run marijuana farms and sell commercial licenses to businesses that must operate at least 1,000 feet from any public school. The state’s liquor control board will receive all profits from fees relating to the distribution and licensing, all of which will go into a “dedicated marijuana fund.”

But though this makes medical marijuana even more accessible to patients, advocates oppose the measure because of Part IV, regarding driving under the influence of marijuana. This makes it illegal to drive if the bloodstream contains more than 5 nanograms per milliliter.

Some say that this is unfair to those who medically require more, causing them either to be breaking the law or in pain. Others say that this is unfair because THC, a key chemical, affects bodies differently and thus officials could not accurately determine how much a driver had smoked. Nonetheless, the bill and all its parts stand at present.

Though Washington residents ages 18-39 are statistically enthusiastic about legalization, students and others underage must remember the illegality of smoking at any time. The University of Washington reported that students should not expect any change to campus rules and that marijuana consumption will still be strictly prohibited on campus.

Campus police, however, have been instructed to ease up on drug charges. Drug-free Gonzaga University Vice President of Student Life, Sue Weitz, said “I actually think it will cause us to have greater communication with students [regarding drugs and drug safety].” Currently, the university is holding to its zero-drug-tolerance standards.