Philadelphians Get Thrifty at the Punk Rock Flea Market, Holiday Edition

The $3 entry fee to R5 Productions’ annual Punk Rock Flea Market Holiday Edition that took place last Sunday was completely worth it, if only for the people watching. Punks, hipsters, families with young children, and teenagers mingled together in the warehouse in Northern Liberties where the event takes place every year. 

The more than 300 tables filled with clothes, instruments, prints, jewelry, furniture, and more were almost overwhelming in their variety.

The goods, organized in table-lined rows, were framed with shoppers looking for the perfect gift and a bargain or two for what was R5 Productions’ most successful Punk Rock flea market yet.

More than 5,600 shoppers walked the aisles during the course of eight hours, exceeding the expectations of the organizers by 1,600 attendees.

“There were so many cool sweaters, I didn’t know what to do with myself,” remarked Harriton senior, Anna Wegbreit.

Multiple food trucks offered a variety of food-related options to those who worked up an appetite after haggling with local vendors, and the lines attested to how delicious the food was. 

Across the street, on 9th & Spring Garden, the Starlight Ballroom housed the Philadelphia Record Riot, which showcased over 55 record dealers selling a mixture of old and new vinyl. 

There were a few changes to this year’s event. The warehouse owners recently leased a small portion of the space to a roller derby team, which cut a big slice out of what’s generally leased to the flea market.

The landlord quickly remedied the situation by opening up a large section of space on the opposite end of the building. The plus side? The roller derby team put on a fun and interesting demonstration for all to see.

“The demonstration was pretty cool,” said Harriton senior, Maggie Strouse. “It definitely added to the whole ‘punk’ vibe.”

The Punk Rock Flea Market Holiday Edition was the perfect way to spend a Sunday, and the festive and happy holiday atmosphere was in no way dampened by the misting rain that fell all morning and well into the afternoon. If you missed out on the fun this weekend, don’t worry. The market will return in the spring, and again next fall.