America Debates the Ban on Assault Weapons

After the tragic Newton shooting, tearful and angry Americans look for answers as to how such an event was able to occur, calling for Congress to prioritize gun control.

In a swift response on December 17th, 2012, Senator Dianne Feinstein announced that she would introduce another Federal Assault Weapons Ban to Congress. The original Federal Assault Weapons Ban (AWB) banned the sale of assault weapons and required magazines to hold ten rounds or less. It was passed September 13, 1994 and expired September 13, 2004, and failed to have any significant impact on gun crime in the United States. A Department of Justice report concluded that “Should it be renewed, the ban’s effects on gun violence are likely to be small at best and perhaps too small for reliable measurement. [Assault weapons] were rarely used in gun crimes even before the ban.”

But what are assault weapons?

As defined by the AWB, assault weapons are semi-automatic firearms that share enough cosmetic features with their automatic counterparts, such as a telescoping stock, pistol grip, bayonet mount, flash suppressor, or grenade launcher. This description means that assault weapons are not categorized by a certain level of lethal efficiency, but just have to look like assault rifles. Assault weapons, such as the AR-15, are commonly used by hunters and sport competitors. The AR-15 in particular is favored by many for its accuracy, low recoil, and lightness, all attributes ideal for shooting – but also self-defense as protected under the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution.

In 1999, five years into the Federal Weapons Ban, the Columbine High School massacre occurred, caused by perpetrators Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold. Harris was armed with an assault weapon, a Hi-Point 995 Carbine 9 mm with thirteen 10-round magazines. He was undeterred by the ten-round magazine of the weapon — he simply bought more; he managed to fire 96 rounds before killing himself. Clearly, the Federal Assault Weapons Ban failed to prevent this massacre.

Congress already banned assault rifles, defined as automatic weapons that can fire over a thousand rounds per minute, under the Firearm Owners’ Protection Act (FOPA) in 1986. Now, a member of Congress is looking to ban semi-automatic weapons, raising concerns regarding the protection of the Second Amendment. However, if Congress were to tax gun sales at exorbitant rates, gun sales would go down, and the sales that remained would also generate revenue for state and federal governments — vital money that could fund schools, hospitals, and community centers. The federal and state governments already have placed high taxes on the sale of cigarettes, lowering the number of purchases and funding projects such as bridges, highways, and government buildings. This solution would be a logical countermeasure to future gun violence; a solution by taxing would affirm the Constitution not contradict one of the Bill of Rights.

After the Newtown incident, Americans have the right to be angry. But banning all assault weapons would not necessarily lower the number of future violent gun crimes. Rather, alternative methods such as a high tax on the sale of semi-automatic weapons would drastically truncate the increase of guns in the United States and prevent future gun-related incidents, safeguarding the future of America.