Interviewing 2024’s Dr. Harriton Choreographers

1. What made you decide to choreograph for Dr. Harriton?
Hailey – I was a choreographer last year for the show and it was a super fun and rewarding experience, so it was a really easy choice for me to decide to choreograph again this year.
Ilana – I decided to be a choreographer for Dr Harriton because I have been dancing for 14 years now and I have always loved making up dances. I was also really looking forward to meeting new people and being in a big fundraiser.
2. What kind of other dance experience do you have, if any?
Hailey – Besides being the choreographer last year and learning the inner workings of the show, I do believe my other dancing experience had prepared me to take on this role. I have been dancing at a studio forever, and have other choreographing experience as a captain for the Harriton Dance Team. I have also made up routines for younger girls at my summer overnight camp which taught me how to work with a large group of dancers with ranging dance abilities.
Ilana –  I have danced since I was 3 years old and when I was 7 I started competitively dancing and I still do that now!
3.  How do you usually choreograph?
Hailey – Ilana and I would spend hours each weekend selecting songs, putting together moves, and making formations for each of the 5 dances in the show. We typically would just play the music and try out different moves until we found something we loved.
Ilana – Usually when I begin the process of choreographing it starts with me hearing a song and my mind goes straight to the movements that can go with it. After those initial thoughts of individual dance moves I have to work to piece it all together.
4. What is your favorite part of choreographing?
Hailey – My favorite part about choreographing is the limitless opportunities of possible moves and configurations. There really are no rules you have to follow, other than making sure the moves go with the beat!
Ilana – My favorite part of choreographing is probably working with Hailey and coming up with cool dances that work really nicely with the theme and the contestants abilities.
5. Have you experienced any struggles juggling Dr. Harriton and schoolwork, extracurriculars, sports, etc.?
Hailey – Like most after school activities, there is always some apprehension about time management. But really, I haven’t found much difficulty since I try to get as much work done during the school day, or even on the weekends to get ahead.
Ilana – My schedule this year has been very busy. When Dr. Harriton started I had to drop one dance class and move a few of my other extracurriculars to different times, but overall the Dr Harriton cast has been very flexible with me and with my schedule.
6. How has choreographing for Dr. Harriton been so far? What are you most excited for?
Hailey – Choreographing for this year’s group has been an absolute blast. Everyone involved comes to practice with a positive attitude, ready to learn and improve. I am really excited for everyone to perform on the day of the show, and for them to realize how far they have all come since day 1. It is really remarkable to watch people who have never danced before in their lives before December become some of the most enthusiastic and sharp dancers I know!
Ilana – Choreographing for Dr Harriton has been so much fun and I am most excited for the show when we get to see all our hard work come together!