Sponge Says: Anjali’s Top 5 Most Underrated Movies!

Sponge Says: Anjali’s Top Five Most Underrated Movies!

Everybody has their own taste in movies. We pile into the movie theaters on the weekends, and we go and see a frivolous comedy or sappy romance movie. There is also the guns and explosions type, or the occasional “I will never sleep again” horror movie. But what happened to that quality movie? The type that doesn’t fit into just one category. Below I will list a few of my favorite movies, the ones that don’t necessarily appear on “Somebody-Big-and-Important’s List of Greatest Movies.” Some of these movies may not be in your favor, but if you haven’t seen them, I would highly recommend the following. If one thing is certain, I would be able to sit down with these five films and never tire of them.

1. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

What can I say besides: this movie has it all. It’s funny, sentimental, and quite offbeat. A sci-fi comedy, this story is based off of the book and radio series that were very popular in the United Kingdom. Starring Martin Freeman (Love Actually) and Zoey Deschanel (500 Days of Summer) as its two main characters, Earth is destroyed and these two are the only “earth humans” left. Floating about space with Ford Prefect (Mos Def), an inter-galactic hitchhiker, and Zaphod (Sam Rockwell), the president of the galaxy, the gang gets into quite a bit of trouble on their quest for the meaning of life. Truthfully, this movie is a little zany and can be very hard to follow. It might even take watching it a second time to grasp the concepts in this film, as well as appreciate the humor. I would give it the benefit of the doubt, because it just might become one of your favorite films as it has become mine.

2. Drumline

Out of all the terrible college movies that have come to theatres, Drumline is one of the only ones to do its job, and do it well.  Drumline stars Nick Cannon and booming superstar Zoe Saldaña. Nick Cannon’s character Devon is a Harlem-born drummer, who receives a scholarship to play at Atlanta A&T University for their famed marching band. This drumming prodigy is the most talented in the whole band, but complications ensue when he concerns himself more with his sound than that of the band. Saldaña stars as his girlfriend, Leila, and Orlando Jones stars as the band director, Dr. Lee. If you love our drumline at Harriton, you’re going to love this movie. It’s funny, sweet, and rather witty. Typically, this type of movie is written off as poor and frivolous, but with the comedy and heart that are put into this film, it’s a solid win for teen films everywhere.

3. Bottle Shock

I know we’re pretty young to understand all of the complexities and hard work that go into making a good wine, but we can sure understand what goes into making a good movie. Starring Star Trek’s Chris Pine and Independence Day’s Bill Pullman, Bottle Shock is about a small California winery that ends up winning an international wine competition in 1976. Based on a true story, Bottle Shock is humorous, but serious when it needs to be. Let’s also not forget the great role of Steven Spurrier, played by Alan Rickman, the sour wine enthusiast who brings all of the competition about. Bottle Shock is the atypical underdog story, full of genuine comedy. I must say, that this wine-centric film is not for everyone, especially if you’re not one for the artsy-fartsy independent film. However, if you’re willing to be introduced to this genre, Bottle Shock is a great place to start.

4. Pride and Prejudice

Jane Austen fans everywhere can finally breathe easily, as her words are done justice in this film. Starring Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennett, the new age camera angles and amazing cast make this film not just another stuffy British period piece. Pride and Prejudice is about Elizabeth Bennett, who is one of five sisters, and her meetings with a rather standoffish but gentlemanly Mr. Darcy. Their relationship grows from one of hatred to one of love. However, in 19th century England, not all matters are so simple. Pride and Prejudice is often considered the best and most widely loved of Austen’s six novels. The mockery of social and appearance-driven Britain is portrayed beautifully through the superficial politics involved in the plot, or the silliness of Elizabeth’s mother and two youngest sisters. Elizabeth Bennett is often considered one of literature’s most celebrated heroines. Knightley does this elegant, strong-minded woman justice in this heart-wrenching film. Pride and Prejudice is the true, original romantic comedy.

5. Kill Bill Vol. 1

Quentin Tarantino is most definitely a master of his craft. He consistently brings us different story lines and different themes, but still manages to put his signature on every one of his films; Kill Bill is no exception. This film focuses on Beatrix Kiddo (Uma Thurman), a former assassin who swears revenge on her former boss Bill, and his henchman. She rampages around the globe, lusting for the blood of all the people who tried to kill her. Along with great films like Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Basterds, Kill Bill Vol. 1 (out of 2 Volumes) is my favorite of the two. While the second is filled with more story lines and more action, I appreciate the fact that only two of Kiddo’s targets are featured, and much more character detail is put into this film. It also has a great fight sequence towards the end, as Thurman battles the Crazy 88. Lucy Liu also has a great performance as Yakuza Mob Boss Oren Ishii. Beware for those who have a fear of blood and guts, because with Tarantino’s comic-book style, there is much to be said throughout the movies many fight scenes.

I attempt to keep an open mind when it comes to films, and it is with an open mind that I cam across these spectacular movies. I have watched each many times, and in each viewing, I have come to love them even more. All are composed with great plots, wit, fabulous directing, and quality performances. I hope that the next time you’re scrolling through the channels and you spot one of these films, you’ll lend it two hours of your life and watch it.