Give Romney a Chance

Paul Videla
Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney greets supporters Thursday, September 20, 2012, during a rally at the Ringling Museum of Art in Sarasota, Florida. (Paul Videla/Bradenton Herald/MCT)

It seems to be obvious that most Harriton students are supporting President Obama in his re-election bid this year. As a staunch Mitt Romney supporter, this trend leaves me scratching my head. Students who do not affiliate themselves with either political party are supporting Obama. One of the greatest aspects of this country is that every single citizen over the age of 18 has the opportunity to cast his or her vote and make his or her opinions heard. You can support whoever you feel shares your values and will help the US more. But some people, especially students like you, should just give Mitt Romney a chance.

Mitt Romney was elected Governor of Massachusetts in 2002. This was a strange occurrence as the “Bay State” may be the most liberal state in the country; it has an approximate makeup of only one registered Republican for every eight registered Democrats, according to state records. What was it about Romney that helped him win a seemingly impossible election by almost five percentage points in said state? For one, it could have been his superb business career constructed by a strong leadership history. It is well known that Romney was the CEO and co-founder of private equity firm Bain Capital before becoming the governor. The corporation’s goals were to acquire struggling companies and use the management styles of their officials to try to turn them into profitable businesses again. Since its beginning in 1984, Bain Capitol has saved countless companies, even many you use today. Without Mitt Romney, you wouldn’t be able to pick up a binder at Staples, enjoy a meal from Dominos, Burger King or Dunkin’ Donuts, shop at Toys-R-Us, or check the forecast on the Weather Channel. It should also be noted that after his departure from Bain in 2000, Romney became the CEO of the 2002 Winter Olympics, in Salt Lake City, Utah. After a bribery scandal left the games in jeopardy, Mitt Romney was looked upon to close a $379 million dollar deficit and deliver the games safely, just six months after the September 11th attacks.

When elected governor, Romney inherited a situation similar to the one he faced with the Olympics. With spending cuts and strategic revenue management, the state avoided a deficit and created a surplus budget near the end of his term. Unemployment fell from 5.6 percent in 2003, to a sparkling 4.6 percent towards the end of his term.

In 2005, Romney elected not to run for a second term, fueling speculation for a 2008 presidential campaign, where Senator John McCain eventually beat him out in the primaries. As Governor, Romney refused to accept his salary of $140,000 per year. With that, he acted as an unpaid bishop in the Mormon Church for 10 years. He also received no compensation from his three years as head of the SLC Olympic committee.

Why should you care? Well, the fact is that Obama’s presidency isn’t helping anyone – high school students are no exception. It is becoming harder and harder to find a part-time or summer job due to the low supply and high demand for each position. Students who plan on going to college are also going to face further economic hardships. According to CNN, college costs have risen 68% in the past decade.  This increase in tuition is fueled mostly by the large amounts of subsidies, in the form of grants, which are heavily supported by President Obama. It is known that when the government subsidizes something, the costs rise. Now I understand the validity of Obama’s arguments that underprivileged students should have the opportunity to go to college. But when one considers the tuition spike, are the students really being helped?

When all is said and done, you should support whomever candidate you think will help you and the country the most. If you are going to be 18 and are able to vote, it is important that you make it to your local polling place on November 6th to take part in this election. I will be supporting Mitt Romney, and I urge you to take a look at both candidates before you make your decision.  Either way, I hope to see you at the booths!