I Am Pro-Obama Because I Am Pro-America

Gary Porter
President Barack Obama addresses a crowd of thousands at the BMO Harris Pavilion at the Summerfest grounds in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Saturday, September 22, 2012. (Gary Porter/Milwaukee Journal Sentinel/MCT)

Unless you live under a rock, you are probably aware that there is a presidential election this upcoming November. I am very excited for this coming election, for I am someone who has always been interested in politics. From a very young age, my parents instilled in my siblings and me the value of taking an interest in politics. I still remember having an Al Gore sign pinned on my wall at just four years old.

Though I am not quite old enough to vote in this upcoming election, I know the utmost importance that this election holds for the fate of America. At this crucial point for our country it is important to have a president that is not only competent in his abilities, but truly cares about the people he will be serving.

That is why I give my complete support to Barack Obama to serve another four years as president. I do not simply support Barack Obama because I am against Mitt Romney; I think that is an ignorant and childish approach to politics. I support Barack Obama because of where he stands on issues, what he has done for America, and what I know he will continue to do.

I am not going to talk about Mitt Romney and why I do not want him to be president. That would not make me pro-Obama; it would simply make me anti-Romney.

My first reason for supporting Barack Obama is Obamacare, I believe that healthcare is something everyone in the country needs. Whether it is for allergy medication or cancer treatment, people need access to healthcare. It is truly amazing that Barack Obama was able to open a door for people to get access to doctors and medication. This reminds me of the monumental effect that Franklin D. Roosevelt had in signing the Social Security Act and what a wonderful impact it made on this country.

I also support Barack Obama because he has done the impossible and ended the war in Iraq. After eight long years of war and over 4,400 casualties and 33,000 wounded, he brought home the brave and valiant soldiers back to their families. I support the troops and their families, and it warms my heart to know that many are no longer in harms way. It is not an easy feat to end a war, and the fact that Barack Obama was able to do this represents his competence as president.

One of the greatest things that Barack Obama has done is stimulating the economy. In only a few months, he was able to stem the tide of an out-of-control recession. In the past two months, the state of the economy has been improving.

The unemployment rate has improved every month since Barack Obama passed the stimulus bill. Unemployment has been on the decline since 2009 due to the creation of over three million new jobs. The stock market has doubled in value under Barack Obama and businesses are reporting record profits.

On a more emotional level, Barack Obama supports equal rights and opportunities for the American citizens. Barack Obama backs equal marriage benefits for gay couples. He also supports equality for women, both in the work force and with medical rights. On that same level I support Barack Obama because I truly believe that he cares about his wife and kids. He talks about his wife so highly with extreme respect and love. He extends that same love and nurture to his children, as he protects them from being overly exposed in the media. He takes the time out of his busy schedule to spend time with them and be a constant positive presence in their lives.

I also commend Barack Obama because although he is in an extremely high position of power, he still takes the time to visit talk shows and late night comedy shows. A gesture that shows how connected he is to the American people.

I will conclude with this: I support Barack Obama because I care about the future of this country and the futures of the citizens. Barack Obama has shown that he is more than capable to lead the country in a bright and shining manner. He has shown that he cares about the citizens of the country and wants the best for their lives.

I am pro-Obama because I am pro-America.