Girls’ Tennis Gears Up For Another Successful Season

During the first few weeks of school, many things have happened. Students have switched out of courses and laptops have been distributed. As people get situated into the school once again, our girl’s tennis team starts their season as state champions and is looking for another victory. Our girls’ tennis team has quite the reputation to live up to if they want to continue the achievements that they have won in previous years. They have won the PIAA (Pensylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association) State title six times in a row and are in the line for their seventh. It is getting to the time of the year when we count on our girl’s team to pull in another victory. How will they do this? The key is the captain Jen Shulkin. She has been playing #1 singles since her freshman year and is constantly contributing to this team’s greatness. She came in fourth in the State individual competition after coming back from a shoulder surgery for the fall season. Another great contribution to the team is the rest of the captains, which are: Taylor Spencer, Megan Woolbert, Laura Walzer, and Rebecca Weinstock. Each captain contributes to the team’s skills in their own unique way. Whether it is teaching the players tricks on how to place the ball, or if it’s how to improve their serve, they do it in ways that true athletes should. Other additions this year include the freshman Jenny White and Hannah Drayton, Episcopal’s #1 player that transferred and is playing at the second spot.

Jen Shulkin thinks the team can win its seventh title for a series of reasons. First of all, the captains are great players. They know how to win matches continually, or they would not have won the state title six years in a row. Second, the other players are just as strong as the captains. Players such as Junior Marni Blumenthal and Hannah Drayton enhance the firepower that the girls are packing this season. After all, it was Marni’s incredible exhibition of determination that won the state title after an exhausting tiebreaker against Quaker Valley in the freezing cold last season. Third, they have experience on their side. Coach Jack Ladden has been coaching these girls all throughout the years and knows what it takes to become a champion year after year. He uses his knowledge of these qualities and picks the most qualified people for the varsity team.

So far, they beat Great Valley, Lower Moreland, and lost to Agnes Irwin. They defeated Strath Haven 7-0, winning all courts. Harriton girls also defeated Penncrest and Springfield 7-0 in straight sets.