Kicking it Game-by-Game With Boys’ Soccer

The 2010-11 Boys Soccer Team, coached by Harriton’s own Biff Sturla, is off to a fantastic start in the 2010 season, going 5-2 in their first seven matches and winning the championship of the Southern Lehigh Preseason Tournament. Here are some recaps and highlights of these seven spectacular matches:
To kick off the season, they were invited to the Southern Lehigh Tournament, and played two spectacular games. In their first match of the tournament, Harriton defeated host Southern Lehigh by a score of 1-0. Justin Aoyama scored the game-winning goal 10 minutes into the second half with a great
assist from Dan Kursman. Dan Posner played spectacular in goal, making 11 key saves in Harriton’s first victory of the new season.

In the championship game of the Southern Lehigh Tournament, Harriton faced off against a tough Perkiomen Valley squad. Late in the first half, Dan Kursman came through again with a clutch goal to give Harriton a 1-0 lead into halftime. After withstanding a furious rally by Perkiomen Valley, Harriton hung on and won the match by that same core thanks to nine saves by Dan Posner. Despite two very tough games, the Rams hung on to win the tournament title.

After two close wins for Harriton at Southern Lehigh, the Rams traveled to face a tough Chichester team. Once again, the Rams proved themselves as one of the top teams in the Central League with another stellar 1-0 win. Marec Serlin received a pass from Zac Geaneotes and converted a huge scoring chance from 15 yards out late in the first half. Wilson Smith had seven key saves and the Rams improved to 3-0
on the season.

After three nonleague matches to start the season, the Rams opened Central League play with a 2-1 loss to Strath Haven in overtime. Kevin Lawson scored the lone Harriton goal,which tied up the game midway through the second half. Despite six saves from Chris Keena, Strath Haven was just too much.

Following the rough loss, the Rams bounced back with a huge 2-0 win over Springfield Delco in front of a huge crowd on the Harriton home field. Dan Posner had nine saves in goal, and Dan Kursman and Justin Aoyama scored in the first half for Harriton. More importantly, Rams coach Biff Sturla picked up his 100th win as coach of the Rams in this victory.

Once again, Harriton made a huge statement in the Central League with a 2-1 victory against Penncrest. Dan Kursman and Marec Selin scored for Harriton while Dan Posner was once again fantastic in goal with ten key saves.

In Hariton’s seventh match of the season, Marple Newtown was just too much for the Rams as they lost 2-0. Marple scored early in the first half and Harriton just couldn’t keep up with the high-powered Marple team.

Harriton boys’ soccer has eleven matches remaining in their regular season schedule, and eight of these happen to be at home. So come out and support the Rams as they look for an evasive Central League soccer title.