Harriton Football: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

For the first time in school history, the Rams started off the Central League season undefeated. This was just the beginning of a season that can only be described in one way: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly Finish.
In the opening game of the season the Rams, who only managed to win two games last year, started off the 2010 campaign with a bang as they defeated cross-town rival Lower Merion by the score of 28-6. This game was by no means close; it was a complete and utter massacre. Led by the rushing attack of senior running back Spencer Reid and the aerial assault commanded by sophomore quarterback Pat Moriarty, the Rams pummeled and picked apart the Aces defense. Reid scampered in for the score from 6 yards out, and then busted loose a 65-yard touchdown run. Moriarty then found Mike Allen in the end zone, and followed it up with a 6-point pass to Ryan Kelly.
Allen, a 6-0 180 lb wide receiver, was ecstatic after the win vs. Lower Merion. When asked afterwards about what it was like to put on such a show in front of everyone, Allen said “It felt great, and hopefully we can beat them next year when I’m a senior.”
The next game was a tough pill to swallow for the Rams, as they lost to Strath Haven on the road, 35-6. Zico Gaeffke, a captain on the boys soccer team, made his debut as the kicker. Unfortunately, it was spoiled by the big night had by the tandem of Strath Haven running backs, Thurman Fortune and Brett Collins. Moriarty found junior wideout Dylan O’Donnell for the lone score in the loss.
The next game would turn out to be more heart-breaking. Harriton took on Springfield at home, and looked to shake off the Strath Haven loss. The Rams started out on the wrong foot, by allowing an early touchdown in the first quarter. A 66 yard touchdown pass from Moriarty to Allen was called back by a holding call, and the drive led to Gaeffke’s first career field goal. At the end of the first quarter, the Rams were down 14-3. In the last minute of the second quarter, Moriarty found the 6’3 tight end Ryan Kelly in the end zone for the score, and after the extra point, the Rams found themselves only down 14-10 at half.
In the third quarter, the Rams were fairly silent offensively, besides the incredible one-handed grab made by Allen. The lone mistake by the Rams in the third was a defensive miscue that allowed Springfield quarterback Dontae Allen to rush for 90 of his 170 rushing yards for a long touchdown. After blocking the extra point, the half ended at 20-10, with Springfield doubling up on the Rams.
The team never gave up. With 6:11 left in the final quarter, Moriarty threw it to Allen for six and just like that, the Rams found themselves down by a mere four points. What happened next was unforgettable. With less than two minutes left in the game, the Rams had the ball, 4th and 23, from the Harriton 10 yard line. It would take a miracle to convert in such circumstances. Well, Moriarty had Lady Luck on his side on that play, as
he somehow managed to not only avoid the sack and get the ball out of his hand, but to complete the pass for a whopping 56 yards to Mike Allen. On the next play, however, his good fortune took a turn for the worse as he was picked off in the end zone. Some fans began to leave the stadium, assuming that Springfield would just take a knee and run out the clock. Instead, they ran the ball. This proved to be a costly move as the Springfield running back fumbled on the very next play. The Rams had a new shot at life. That is, until Moriarty was picked off again by the same defensive back.

“Last week vs. Springfield we had a great week in practice, everyone was ready to take out the other team, and emotions were everywhere when the game was in our grasp,” says Junior linebacker Kody Carb, “I think we all just wanted it so much, and to have it be that close was just even more painful. Everyone was so upset after the game, and who wouldn’t be? We poured our hearts and souls out on to the field and played our best game yet… We will take back what was almost in our grasp before. We’re back with a vengeance this week, and we’re ready to take home another a win for Harriton.”
Quarterback Pat Moriarty felt that something was missing within the team before, but says now the team has found it. “We came into the game (vs. Lower Merion) with confidence and that is why we played as well as we did. We didn’t recognize our potential until our last game against Springfield where we learned that if we play as one, we can give any team in our league a run for their money.” He also feels confident with how the rest of the season will shake up: “I think our skill players are the best in the league, and if we can play as one team we will guarantee a successful season for the well deserving fans.”

What does senior and captain John Wright think is needed to get the Rams another win? “I would say in order to accomplish another win, we as a team need to stay focused, believe in ourselves, and keep working hard! We have the talent to win games, so let’s shock the doubters. Win one more game? NO, we plan on winning a lot more than just one game.”

Take into account the season this team has had. A win, a loss, and a game that the opposing coach said belonged to the Rams. This is quite impressive for a team that has only one winning season in its last 18. Give this team another few weeks, and we may be looking at the newest powerhouse in the Central League.