All They Do is Win, Win, Win, Win, Win…

Once again, the Harriton Girls’ Tennis team dominated the competition. Once again, they displayed incredible talent and effort. Once again, they won districts by a landslide and once again, they became the undisputed PIAA State Champions.
Before they could advance to states, the girls went and competed in the District championship. They won all 5 matches easily and continued on to the state tournament without any fear of losing.
Then on Friday, October 26th, they began the State tournament against Annville Cleona. They won all 5 matches and continued on to Hershey. On Friday, October 29th they went head-to-head against South Park High School and dominated once again, winning 4 matches to 1. The next morning, they faced a seemingly formidable opponent, Quaker Valley. Quaker Valley had just swept Loylsock Township 5 matches to 0 and were looking to take down the almighty Harriton. The girls fought hard and came out on top 3 to 2. Senior Jen Shulkin lost to Quaker Valley’s Sophomore star, Spencer Caravaggiol, but the rest of the team stepped up to win anyway. Hannah Drayton won both sets 6-0, the team of Megan Woolbert and Taylor Spencer won their first set 6-2 and their second set 6-1 and the team of Laura Walzer and Renee Simms won their first set 6-1 and their second set 6-2.
They then continued to the match they had won 6 times in a row, the state championship match. This time their opponent was Wyomissing High School. They started off strong, taking a solid in 4 out of 5 matches until Senior Megan Woolbert, winning the first set 5-3, went down with a knee dislocation and was brought to the emergency room. Woolbert and her partner Spencer were forced to forfeit the match and hope that the rest of the team could make up for them. Drayton dominated her match and won both sets 6-0. Junior Marni Blumenthal won her first set 6-0 and her second set 7-5. Meanwhile, Shulkin was in a tight match against Wyomissing’s Audrey Ann Blakely. She lost her first set 4-6 but then fought back in her second set and won 6-3. Meanwhile, having already won a 6-0 set, the team of Walzer and Simms finished their opponent 6 to 4, clinching the victory. Shulkin forfeited the final match and the Harriton girls came out victorious with a final score of 3 to 2.
Although they would never jinx it, the team was confident in their ability to win this year from the beginning. One of the biggest reasons for this are the captains: Jen Shulkin, Taylor Spencer, Megan Woolbert, Laura Walzer, and Rebecca Weinstock. They are all great players. They know how to win matches continually, or they would not have won the state title six years in a row prior to this year’’ victory. Another principle reason for this is the other plays on the team such as Juniors Marni Blumenthal and Hannah Drayton. It was Blumenthal’s determination that fought through an exhausting tiebreaker against Quaker Valley in the freezing cold last season to win the 6th state title and it was Drayton that blew through all of her opponents in the state tournament this year.
The most important aspect to this unbeatable team is their experience. Coach Jack Ladden has been coaching the Harriton girls throughout all of the state championship and knows what it takes to become a champion year after year. He assesses the team for the qualities that he knows will win a championship and chooses his varsity squad accordingly. He also knows how to prepare his girls to win it all.
Congratulations to the Girls’ Tennis Team on winning their 7th straight state championship and good luck winning the 8th next year.