Ask the Experts: Part Two

In last week’s debut edition of “Ask the Experts,” writer Tom Considine snatched the early lead with a 7-1 record. Editors Alex Settle and Ryan Smith were tied for second at 6-2, while writer Holden McGinnis went 4-4. This week the experts branch out into different sports, covering the week’s premier college basketball, NBA, and NFL games.

#8 Michigan State (6-2) at #7 Syracuse (8-0)
The Spartans have suffered two tough losses while the Orange have consistently found ways to win tight games. Michigan State should still give Cuse a run for their money with the help of All-American Kalin Lucas.

Tom (7-1): Michigan State
Alex (6-2): Michigan State
Ryan (6-2): Syracuse
Holden (4-4): Syracuse

#14 Memphis (7-0) at #4 Kansas (7-0)
In the Conference USA-dwelling Tigers’ first trip away from home (and first game against an imposing foe), they will try to knock off the undefeated Jayhawks. Kansas just survived a scare from UCLA and ranks 3rd in the nation in scoring.

Tom (7-1): Kansas
Alex (6-2): Kansas
Ryan (6-2): Kansas
Holden (4-4): Kansas

#13 Tennessee (6-0) at #3 Pittsburgh (9-0)
The Vols keep finding ways to shoot up the rankings, pulling upset after upset (including a foe Pitt is more than familiar with, Villanova). The Panthers appear to be the class of the Big East as nonconference play winds down, and a win over an undefeated squad would keep the #1 ranking in their sights.

Tom (7-1): Tennessee
Alex (6-2): Pitt
Ryan (6-2): Pitt
Holden (4-4): Pitt

Nuggets (13-6) at Celtics (16-4)
While the Celtics can solidify themselves as the class of the Eastern Conference– and possibly even the NBA– with a win, the Nuggets will be looking to pull the upset and extend their seven-game win streak. Boston, however, is 9-1 at home.

Tom (7-1): Celtics
Alex (6-2): Celtics
Ryan (6-2): Nuggets
Holden (4-4): Celtics

Magic (15-6) at Jazz (16-6)
The Jazz will try to stay hot as they take on Dwight Howard and the Magic in a marquee inter-conference matchup. Speaking of Heat, Utah will be fresh off a battle with Miami before they return home to take on Orlando.

Tom (7-1): Jazz
Alex (6-2): Jazz
Ryan (6-2): Jazz
Holden (4-4): Magic

Chiefs (8-4) at Chargers (6-6)
In a key AFC West showdown, the Chargers will try to keep their fading playoff hopes alive, while a Chiefs win would all but lock up the division title. San Diego’s Achilles heel this season has been special teams, ranking among the league leaders in both offense and defense.

Tom (7-1, 3-1 in NFL): Chiefs
Alex (6-2, 4-0 in NFL): Chiefs
Ryan (6-2, 3-1 in NFL): Chiefs
Holden (4-4, 2-2 in NFL): Chargers

Rams (6-6) at Saints (9-3)
No one could have predicted that the Rams would be in first place in the NFC West with four weeks to go, but the division has been miserable this season. They have a chance to score a huge win on the road against the defending Super Bowl champion Saints, who are starting to pick up some steam under Drew Brees.

Tom (7-1, 3-1 in NFL): Rams
Alex (6-2, 4-0 in NFL): Saints
Ryan (6-2, 3-1 in NFL): Saints
Holden (4-4, 2-2 in NFL): Saints

Patriots (10-2) at Bears (9-3)
In the marquee matchup of the weekend, the Patriots take to the road to visit the ferocious Bears defense. Fresh off a 45-3 dismantling of the 9-3 Jets, a win would solidify New England as one of the best two teams in the NFL. But the Bears have surprised all year behind their defense and an efficient offense.

Tom (7-1, 3-1 in NFL): Bears
Alex (6-2, 4-0 in NFL): Patriots
Ryan (6-2, 3-1 in NFL): Patriots
Holden (4-4, 2-2 in NFL): Patriots