Boys’ Basketball Off to Fast Start

After a tough finish to the 2009-10 season, Harriton basketball is back with a an unprecedented 4-0 start that will surely put them in contention in the Central League this year. Here’s how the first four games went down:

Game # 1: Harriton 57 – Olney 37

In Harriton’s first game of the season, they participated in the Philly.com Classic, which consisted of several high school teams from many different counties. Immediately, Harriton looked good from the start, getting off to a 12-5 lead after the 1st quarter. Harriton kept up the dominance, taking a 30-11 lead into halftime thanks to great play from Marquis Baker and Matt Sherman. In the end, Harriton won 57-37 with an outstanding game. Marquis Baker led the scoring with 14 points, with Matt Sherman contributing 13 points. Also, Mike Allen contributed with a strong effort in the pain with 6 points and 10 rebounds.

Game #2: Harriton 54 – Garnet Valley 43

In the second game of the season, Harriton went on the road to face a tough Garnet Valley team on the road. Early in the game, Marquis Baker and Matt Sherman led the squad with 8 points each in the first quarter, giving the Rams a 20-12 lead. As the game went on, Garnet Valley kept up the intensity, forcing Harriton to respond after many short runs. Led by Baker and Sherman, Harriton fought through a tough second quarter and took a 10 point lead into the locker room. Despite a sluggish second half, the Rams pulled out the game, winning by 11 points. Marquis Baker had 15 points, Matt Sherman had 13 points, and Ryan Kelley had 10 points. However, the most important stat of the game was that Harriton shot an outstanding 10/11 from the free throw line. The Rams advanced to 2-0 overall, and picked up their 1st Central League win.

Game #3: Harriton 54 – Haverford High 39

In Harriton’s first home game of the season, they faced off with a tough Haverford team in front of a raucous crowd at the Gym. The game started with the Rams going on an 8-0 run, and they ended the first quarter with a 10-4 lead. Despite a sluggish second quarter in which they were outscored 11-10, Harriton took a 3 point lead in the locker room. Immediately after halftime, the Rams looked motivated and closed out the game outscoring Haverford 36-24. Harriton won the game 54-39 with outstanding play from Matt Sherman who had 21 points, Samir Muhammed, and Marquis Baker. With the win, the Rams advanced to 3-0 overall, 2-0 in the Central League.

Game #4: Harriton 55 – Radnor 37

In the Rams’ last game at home before the winter break, they easily handled Radnor 55-37. The Rams got off to a great start, leading 31-17 at halftime. Mike Allen led the team with 17 points, 10 rebounds and amazing hustle. Also playing well for the Rams was Matt Sherman, Marquis Baker and Itay Levy. This win put the Rams at 4-0, with a 3-0 record in the Central League.