January’s Sports News

Boys’ Indoor Track: As we approach the tail end of the indoor track season, the boys’ team will look to improve on a stellar showing in the regular season meets. The Distance Medley Relay team of James Butler, Shane Foust, Isaac Jennings and Max Norris shattered the school record with a time of 11:04.64, a near three-minute improvement. The team will run in the Meet of Champions on February 19th and attempt to hit the state qualifying time. Norris (who was dubbed “the second coming of Steve Prefontaine” by teammates) and Foust will also participate in the 3000 and 400 meter runs, respectively, at the meet along with the Rams’ 4×800 meter relay, which qualified earlier in the season. While Norris proclaimed his personal goal in the mile was 4:23, Butler detailed his love-hate relationship with the 1200 meter leg of the relay and Jennings cited an extensive summer training program as crucial to the team’s success. When asked about his mile strategy, Norris emphasized the need to “Start fast, go fast in the middle, and in the end switch it up and go fast.” The Rams have transitioned smoothly through a coaching change and are now led by former Lower Merion throwing coach Boris Oden. The improvement has been significant—Harriton has four times the number of participants in the Meet of Champions than they had last season. Another modern-era school record is within reach at the meet, as the 4×8 has come within a second of breaking the time set last year at the District championships. With spring track just around the corner, the sky is the limit for the Rams over the next few months.

Girls’ Basketball: The Rams recently snapped a 5-game losing streak with an impressive 46-34 win over Penncrest. Harriton stands at 6-12 this year, but impressive performances from freshmen Katie Melvin and Sabrina Tabasso have kept them competitive throughout the season. Some of the highlights of the year thus far include a four-game stretch where the Rams defeated Lower Moreland on the road and Marple Newton and Strath Haven at home. They fell 48-35 in their yearly rivalry game with Lower Merion, but will look to improve on their record as the season hits the stretch drive of Central League play. Captains Ali Grady and Betsy Hurtado were also named for their exceptional performance and leadership as of late.

Girls’ Indoor Track: The Rams will have two girls, senior Sarah Hammer and junior Ally McLaughlin, representing the track team at the Meet of Champions on February 18th. Both Hammer and McLaughlin will run the 800 at the meet. Other impressive performances have come from senior Julia Fuchs and sophomore Adjoa Mante.

Wrestling: After enduring a tough string of consecutive losses, the Rams bounced back and defeated Radnor on January 28th with key victories from seniors Elliott Levy and Haddon Corbett. They will wrap up their in early February with two Central League matches—on the road against Lower Merion and a home finale against Haverford.

Boys’ Swimming: The boys’ swimming team fell to 0-9 on the year after losing to Radnor, but Coach Dennis Hagan was optimistic, stating “A lot of kids have been qualifying for districts and everybody’s dropping time. I don’t think there’s anyone who’s not dropped time.” The latest addition to the Rams’ district lineup was the 200 medley relay consisting of Parker Laren, Barclay Walsh, Adam Flake and Eno Olson with a time of 1:56.42. Senior Alex Menard echoed the sentiments of many swimmers when he stated “I’m pretty satisfied, but I still have a lot of stuff to learn.”