Catching Up With Boys’ Basketball: An Interview With Ryan Kelly

This year, the boys’ basketball team had an impressive season that ended in another trip to the post season. They confidently won their first game but unfortunately lost to Holy Ghost in the 2nd round. Harriton Banner staff writer, Peter Downs, spoke to junior Forward Ryan Kelly after the fact in this exclusive interview:

Peter: “How’d it feel after you won the first game?”
Ryan: “Oh man, it was a great feeling. Every time you get any type of playoff win, you feel great. You’re boosting the moral of the school, you’re changing the image of the school, and you feel like you make the school proud every time you do that.”

P: “Definitely. You guys played a great game, really pulling through in the second half. Coming off of a win like that, what was your game-plan for game #2?”
R: “Well, we wanted to be in the best shape possible in order to perform as well as possible. We had two practices before the game – the first practice we went over the other team’s roster, and tried to find weaknesses in their personnel. We rested up, and then the day before game we watched film of their past games, really got into their head. We wanted to know how they play better than they do.”

P: “Did you have any secret strategies, anything you’d never tried before?”
R: “From the film, it was clear that the key to their success was their #11. We wanted to lock him up, play him man to man, run the zone around him.”

P: “So what happened?”
R: “Well, … they just outplayed us. They’re a well coached team, and, … [shrugs] we got out played, really. They’re bigger, they had more size, and they rebounded and shot well. I like what we did going into it, they just outplayed us.”

P: “If you could change one thing, what would it be?”
R: “Change the loss to a win.”