March Sadness: Vote on the Best of the Worst

In honor of March Madness’ Final Four that comes to a conclusion this weekend, The Harriton Banner sports section has decided to give some of the schools who didn’t have any luck this year a shot at a championship. These four schools (we’ll call them the “Final Bore”) have had the worst total records throughout their football and basketball seasons:

Wake Forest (Average Winning Percentage: 25%): The Demon Deacons had high expectations in basketball this year, but crashed and burned after a quick start and only managed one conference win all year. In football they returned to their cellar-dwelling ways after a fairly successful string of seasons under coach Jim Grobe, finishing last in the ACC with a 3-9 record.

Rutgers (AWP: 40%): No one expected much out of the Scarlet Knights in basketball, but they failed to make any sort of a splash in the 2010-11 season, finishing near the bottom of the Big East and bowing out of the tournament with an ugly, much-disputed loss to St. John’s. Expectations were higher in football, but a quarterback controversy and a porous offensive line doomed the Knight to last place.

Indiana (AWP: 40%): Still smarting from NCAA penalties from when Kelvin Sampson was at the helm, the Hoosiers limped to a 12-20 record in basketball, good for last place and a far cry from the powerhouse they once were. In football they were only one win away from making a bowl game but once again fell to the bottom of the Big Ten.

Oregon State (AWP: 38%): The Beavers are probably the most unlikely inclusion on this list. Despite an unsurprisingly poor season in basketball, State was included in the AP Top 25 to begin the year in football. The good times would not last, however, as the bottom fell out in Pac-10 play and the team missed out on a bowl.

Here’s your chance to give these fanbases something to cheer for. Which team was the worst of them all? Vote here for which school will be crowned the king of March Sadness.