Where in the World are Rams Sports?

With many of the sports teams taking breaks for the Jewish holidays, it’s easy to lose track of how they’ve been doing. Here’s a quick update detailing where each team stands approaching Spirit Week.

Football (3-3, 2-3 Central League): After getting out to a strong 3-1 start, the football team dropped two straight home games to Garnet Valley and Marple Newtown. In the former, the Rams held a halftime lead before a rough third quarter led to a 76-38 loss. The defense was gashed once again against the Tigers as the squad fell 49-7. Still, quarterback Pat Moriarty will look to put the team back on the winning track with a win against rival Lower Merion on Friday.

Boys Soccer (5-5-1, 4-3-1): After a rough start, the Rams boys squad has rebounded well and gone 5-2-1 in their last eight matches. Despite some heavy senior losses, the emergence of freshmen Kevin Bendesky and Kyle Gaeffke has helped the team to one of Harriton’s few winning league records. Make sure to support the team as they take on Lower Merion on Tuesday in a Spirit Week-sanctioned whiteout.

Girls Soccer (3-4-3, 2-4-2): A strong defense has kept the Rams in almost every game, resulting in quite a few draws and low-scoring matches. Recently, Jess Schwab’s two game-winning goals have given the ladies some dramatic victories, but they dropped their last game against Radnor. The squad will also take on Lower Merion on Tuesday.

Field Hockey (6-5, 3-5): The always high-scoring field hockey team has cooled off a bit in recent weeks, currently riding a three-game losing streak. After a tough 1-0 loss to Radnor, the Rams will give it another shot on Monday as they try to defeat (surprise!) Lower Merion.

Girls Tennis (12-1, 10-1): By far the most successful Harriton fall sport (as per usual), the girls have been particularly impressive this season as they seek an eighth straight state title. Hannah Drayton has turned in one of the best individual performances of a Ram athlete this year, winning not only the league single championship but also the district title. Hannah was also named Main Line Athlete of the Week.

Boys Cross Country (4-5): Led by Max Norris, who has yet to finish outside the top two in any race this season, the Rams are making a strong run at a winning Central League record for the first time in team history. After a 2-5 start, the squad defeated Radnor and Garnet Valley to leave just one league meet (at Upper Darby and Ridley) between them and their goal.