Boys Soccer Nets Legendary Win

On Tuesday, October 11th, the Harriton boys soccer team notched without a doubt their biggest victory of the season, beating their rival Lower Merion Aces 2-1. The win moved the Rams to 6-5-1 (5-3-1 in league play) on the season.

The game, hyped up with its own Spirit Week-dedicated day, saw a huge crowd of white-clad Rams fans in attendance. Harriton fell behind the Central League-leading Aces early, but stormed back with goals from stud freshmen Kevin Bendesky and senior captain Zico Gaeffke. Goalie Wilson Smith had a stellar performance as well, holding the Aces at bay late in the game and accounting for 14 saves.

Drama aside, the importance of this game for Harriton and the boys soccer team cannot be overstated. Lower Merion was ranked 33rd in the nation entering the game, giving the Rams not only their first win over LM in team history, but also their first victory over a national top-50 squad.

Coach Biff Sturla was, understandably, thrilled after the game. “We’re not going to win the Central League this year, but this game is like Army-Navy– you win it and it makes your season,” he stated.” Lower Merion’s a phenomenal team, it’s only their second loss of the season.”

As good as it seems now, this will undoubtedly go down as one of the biggest wins of the 2011 season for all Rams sports teams, if not one of the biggest in Rams history. Fans should appreciate witnessing such a momentous victory—and such a momentous fall season thus far in all sports.