Key Date With LM Looms for Rams Football

The Harriton football team got off to its best start in years this season, opening up 3-1 with a season-defining upset win over Upper Darby. In their last two games, however, the Rams’ defense gave out, allowing a combined 125 points to Garnet Valley and Marple Newtown. The D had been a little shaky all year, but as we enter Friday night’s game against Lower Merion, it’s a legitimate concern.

How will the defense respond? If past history is any factor, they shouldn’t have much a problem– Harriton dominated their rivals last year in the season opener. Still, anyone familiar with the history between the two squads should expect a dogfight.

It’s not just the defense that needs to step up though– Pat Moriarty and company were flat on the offensive side of the ball as well against Marple Newtown, getting held to a season low 7 points. Moriarty has been fantastic this year, with help from star receivers Juwan Valentine and Ryan Kelly, but will need to bounce back if the Rams are to improve to 4-3 on the year.

That last sentence in itself seems ridiculous. Wasn’t it just a few years ago when we never expected more than a few wins out of our football team? Now, in 2011, the Rams are competing for a winning record and an upper-half Central League finish. No matter what the outcome of tomorrow night’s game, Coach Barr and the players have done a fantastic job turning around this program. That said, it’s time to see how far they can go. Go Rams.