Senior Spotlight: Ryan Kelly

To kick off the school year, this edition’s Senior Spotlight is on Ryan Kelly. At a towering and robust 6’4”, Ryan may give off the appearance of a beast, but he’s truly a gentle giant and not to be feared. I will say I’ve seen him in the weight room, and, well, anyone who feels intimidated is certainly entitled to feel that way, but anyone who knows him knows he’s a great guy.

Ryan is a well-rounded athlete and has been incredibly active athletically throughout his high-school career. Growing up, he played football, basketball, and baseball, but stopped playing baseball after freshman year because he “realized [he] couldn’t hit a curveball.” Although disappointed to leave baseball, Kelly seems to be satisfied with baseball and basketball occupying most of his time. Although asked constantly, Ryan answered emphatically about his favorite sport. He says football is his favorite sport, as “…you get to be a completely different person out on the field. How many sports do you get to tackle another person and get away with it? There’s nothing better. Football also teaches you a lot of life lessons. The game shows the importance of teamwork, trust, and respect.” Kelly goes on to say it’s one of the main things that have shaped him into who he is today. The hard work and discipline he has put into football made him stoic, determined, and brave.

A lot of high-school athletes play a particular sport because of a family legacy or their parents simply wish for them to play it, but begrudge having to play. When asked if this is the case, Kelly insisted that he honestly loves playing football. “I wouldn’t give it up for anything. It’s a great way to relieve stress and it’s something that has been with me for a large part of my life.” He added that one of the main reasons for his passion for football is that it keeps him focused and organized. He realizes one of the benefits of football for him is that “…you have to be committed and disciplined to play the game and those traits [carry over] into school work and other aspects of my life.”

Unlike most other student athletes, Kelly began his sport very early on. What may have helped was his unusual height at such a young age. Although his parents were the main force behind his start, Kelly is incredibly grateful now to have started so early. “In fourth grade I was about 5’7’’ and had no interest in playing any kind of sport. However, It seemed a little ridiculous being the biggest kid in the school and not putting any of my size to use.” Kelly began playing in a basketball league with some friends, officially starting his athletic career. Once the basketball season wrapped up, he decided to try out for the local CYO football team, and “hasn’t looked back since.”

Off the field Kelly enjoys what most Harriton seniors do at this point, which is relaxing. Says Kelly, “sports and school take up almost all of my time and any time I get just to sit around and watch TV I consider time well spent.” Kelly says he’s not the kind of person to need to be busy all the time.

Another thing that makes Kelly unique is not just his performance on the field, but also having great stats in the classroom. Clearly influenced by his sport, Kelly explains the trick to staying afloat academically is to “keep your head down and keep chugging away.” He said he tries tackles one thing at a time, instead of focusing on everything at once. Kelly also tries to enjoy the time he has in high school. He goes on to say, “You only get to go through high school once so it’s important to be thankful for everything that comes your way.”

Ryan, like his peers, is looking into colleges and hopes to find a college where he can continue to pursue his passion. Wherever he goes, he will thrive and make his name known. He’s a great athlete and a great guy, and we wish him the best of luck.