Strong Start for Field Hockey

Over the past couple years at Harriton, many changes have occured, from moving into a completely new school to unexpected sports seasons. Aside from the great football season the Rams have been showing, the field hockey team at Harriton has been exceeding their expectations tremendously. After losing some fantastic players to graduation, the expectations dropped slightly for the players but little did they know their record is far from what they thought. Currently girls have a record of 6-4 with still around 6 more games to go. Even though they had some big losses to Conestoga and Strath Haven, the girls have brought home some big wins in return. At the beginning of the season they put up a remarkable fight against Mathacten, finishing the game with a final score of 4-2, putting them in a winning record just at the beginning of the season.

The field hockey team is known for being extremely close and they do what they can to stay connected on the field to outsmart their opponents. Team connection is a key point that the players try to keep because with no connection, there is no team. To keep the connection strong on the field, the girls, especially the captains, Ali Grady and Julia Goodhart, have activities with the team outside of school. Being able to stay close with the girls off the field just strengthens the bond they have on the field. Another key skill that the girls focus on is communication, the key to winning a game. Running with the ball, having the adrenaline of someone right behind you and the desire to keep the ball, you don’t have the time in the world to look around for a pass, so that is why communication is vital. Telling the player with the ball whether you are through or flat are the little skills that determine whether you will get a break away or the other team will steal the ball right from under your nose. Hitting these skills during the game, the team gathers together in a circle and discusses what they didn’t do so great in the last game and make sure that is what they will work on the game they are about to enter.

In the upcoming weeks, the girls have some tough games, but hopefully they will pull through and continue their successful season.