Season in Review: Girls Tennis

This is a short feature we’ll be running now that the fall season is over. To put the first trimester of the athletic year into perspective and prepare for the winter, the Banner will run a recap on each Harriton team’s season– including highlights, lowlights, and what we can expect in the future. First up is girls tennis.

Preseason: I’ve always said that Harriton students take for granted the incredible success of the girls tennis team. After seven consecutive state titles, the Rams were set to seek their eighth in 2011, which in all likelihood would be the girls’ last in Class AA. Expectations, as always, were sky-high despite a few senior losses, including captain Jennie Shulkin. Still, Coach Jack Ladden fielded an extremely talented squad that looked to be as competitive as ever.

Regular Season: The Rams, as always, cruised through their league schedule. With the exception of a tough early season loss to Conestoga, the team did not suffer a defeat and rarely even let their opponents win more than a single match. They trounced rival Lower Merion 6-1, and swept their nonconference matches en route to a 12-1 regular season record.

Postseason: Despite many players earning League and District honors and the team taking home an unprecedented eleventh straight District title, the girls lost a tough match to Sewickley Academy in the State semifinals and were unable to keep their famous streak alive. Nevertheless, the Rams finished with a fantastic 19-2 record, cementing their reputation as one of Harriton’s premier programs.

Key Players: Junior Hannah Drayton may have had the most impressive season of any Harriton athlete in 2011 so far, as she not only claimed the league and district singles titles, but also was named Main Line Athlete of the Week and earned first team All-Central League honors. Senior Marni Blumenthal and freshman Rachel Benstock also had strong seasons, taking home the District doubles title.

Best Moment: Harriton’s “trifecta” at Districts– winning the singles, doubles, and team championship– was a first in team history. With a program of this caliber, any “firsts” are extremely impressive.

Heartbreaker: Obviously the team would’ve loved a chance to defend their state championship, but could not get past Sewickley, falling 4-0.

Recap: Despite the tough loss at States, it’s impossible to view a 19-2 season as a disappointment. The girls did a fantastic job overcoming their senior losses in finding new leaders and contributors that led them to their eleventh District title. The individual achievements were impressive as well– Drayton, Blumenthal, and Benstock all had great seasons.

What’s Next?: Once again, the Rams will lose a few seniors but return a strong core of players. The bigger story is their upcoming jump from Class AA to AAA, which will not affect the team’s regular season but will have them facing much tougher competition in postseason play. Will the team’s District streak continue? The odds aren’t in their favor, but the Rams are undefeated in AA District play under Ladden and regularly handle AAA teams with ease in Central League play. It won’t be easy, but if we’ve learned one thing at Harriton it’s to never stop expecting big things from girls tennis.

Quotable: “We’re going to do the same thing we’ve always done. We’re just going to have to work even harder.” – Hannah Drayton on the upcoming jump to AAA.